Chips and Coffee for Saturday

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from THarvey

THarvey

Here are two from my Saturday.

My wife bought a box at an estate sale, which contained a few stray poker chips. Curly Maple is compliments of Andy (twoofakind).

The coffee bean blank was purchased from Neil (Wolftat). I am not pleased with my finish on this one. I had trouble neutralizing static to keep dust out of my CA.

Both are CA finish.

Sorry for my pitiful photographic skills.

Tim

Attachments

• Poker Chip Band Slimline.jpg
    Poker Chip Band Slimline.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 324
  • Coffee Bean Slimline.jpg
    Coffee Bean Slimline.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 287
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Tim, great use of the chips I've often wondered how they'd work. Both pens look good!
Hey I met someone who knows you today at the show we were doing in Birmingham. A lady had stopped by our booth looking at my pens and mentioned that her brother had a friend in Anniston that he went to church with that had made him a pen. Told her I knew one turner there and mentioned your name. She said yep it was you! Her brothers name is Jeremy if I recall right......small world huh?

Gagler

That poker chip pen looks really nice!

I have a whole bag of those poker chips....great idea! I'm warning you in advance I'm going to steal the concept for some Freedom Pens I am making up with some scrap mesquite.

THarvey

Tim, great use of the chips I've often wondered how they'd work. Both pens look good!
Hey I met someone who knows you today at the show we were doing in Birmingham. A lady had stopped by our booth looking at my pens and mentioned that her brother had a friend in Anniston that he went to church with that had made him a pen. Told her I knew one turner there and mentioned your name. She said yep it was you! Her brothers name is Jeremy if I recall right......small world huh?

Jeremy brought me a large rack of antler last year. I made him the first pen from it with a 30-06 cartridge. He bought two other pens from me for Christmas gifts.

One of his sisters ordered three, after seeing the two he bought. Not sure if it is the same sister. We never met, just talked on the phone and emailed pictures.

That poker chip pen looks really nice!

I have a whole bag of those poker chips....great idea! I'm warning you in advance I'm going to steal the concept for some Freedom Pens I am making up with some scrap mesquite.

Freedom Pen was my first thought for these. I cannot take credit for the original thought. I am sure I borrowed it from someone here.

The slimline was modified, similar to Kurt Hertzog's article in Woodturning Design.

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
Poker chips? Thats a cool idea! Looks really nice!

Hmmm...isn't there a poker themed Sierra kit out there? WoodPenPro maybe? :wink:

broitblat

Great looking pens. The poker chips make a great accent. I would have thought they'd be too brittle to turn, but obviously not if you know what you're doing :)

-Barry

papaturner

Tim, Are you sure you didn`t win the chips from the Preacher:biggrin:. I really like the chips pen but I`m not a fan of the coffee blanks. Coffee is for drinking.:rolleyes:

bitshird

Cool looking pens Tim, I wonder why the coffee bean pen had such a static problem? it looks nice form here, I've heard that Alumilite doesn't have quite the shine that other PR does, but CA should have taken care of that, except for the static.

THarvey

Tim, Are you sure you didn`t win the chips from the Preacher:biggrin:. I really like the chips pen but I`m not a fan of the coffee blanks. Coffee is for drinking.:rolleyes:

Perry,

I cash those chips in before I leave the table. :biggrin:

The coffee pen looks better than the picture. I have three more blanks. I will get some practice.

Cool looking pens Tim, I wonder why the coffee bean pen had such a static problem? it looks nice form here, I've heard that Alumilite doesn't have quite the shine that other PR does, but CA should have taken care of that, except for the static.

Ken,

My Woodchuck made quick work of turning down the chips. Nice tool. Great fun to work with.

I think the coffee blank is PR. I am not sure why static was so much trouble. I could not seem to keep the blank cleaned off. I will take more time on the other blanks.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
The coffee bean blank is Alumilte not PR. I don't know why the static was effecting the blank, was the humidity very low at the time when you were turning it? I will get a couple together and send them out to you to play with and see if this is a one time thing or if it is a problem that I need to be aware of.

THarvey

The coffee bean blank is Alumilte not PR. I don't know why the static was effecting the blank, was the humidity very low at the time when you were turning it? I will get a couple together and send them out to you to play with and see if this is a one time thing or if it is a problem that I need to be aware of.

Neil,

I have three others. You sent me an extra when I purchased the three.

Thanks for the offer. I do not think this was anything wrong with the blank. The pen turned great. I may have been in too big of a hurry to get this one finished.

If I see it on one of the others, I will shoot you a PM to get your thoughts.

Thanks,

Tim

Top Bottom