Chinese flat celluloid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from watch_art

watch_art

So you all remember that thread a while back discussing those flat sheets of Chinese celluloid? Well, a guy in Europe who makes pens bought some of that up and made a few rods from it. He glued the sheets together using solvents of some sort.

Here's the results.

First - I gotta say when he told me what he was sending I was pretty excited. Until I saw it. It was only about 8 inches and predrilled. Not exactly how I like to work - but I made due.

00548.jpg

Initially I wanted to turn a 14mm pen, comfortable for me, but when I threaded the barrel threads (for the cap) I was left with a mess. THe threads were gone! I figured out that since this stuff is SO SOFT, even a tiny bit of forward pressure while twisting the die over the barrel just ripped the threads off. I turned a couple more threads and it was perfect. I think you can see that in this pic...

00351.jpg

So I'm totally fuming at myself and this stupid soft material. Of course it is my fault for the threads being ruined. But it does NOT turn like any other celluloid I've turned. Instead of nice ribbons when turning, I get dust and little strings. When threading I get no resistance – it's like cutting into butter. I can't feel what's going on inside the die.

img_2806.jpg

Well, at least I have enough material to turn it down and make a 13mm pen. So I stuck the barrel between centers and started turning off the threads and thinning it down a bit. The bad thing about turning between centers is that unless you press everything very tightly the barrel will stop as you're cutting into it. This was happening here. I tightened my tailstock up against the barrel a little bit more and got it just right. I turned some more of the bad threads off and noticed things seeming very off center. I stopped the lathe and noticed that the strips were coming apart at a seam! Ugh!! So this isn't going to work.

I put the project aside and emailed the gift giver. I told him the problems I had and how it seemed brittle – which isn't exactly right at all – but the shavings come off in dust rather than ribbons – which is weird for celluloid. I also told him how soft it was and how I ruined the threads. He said NONSENSE! I thought he was mad at me. I don't know, maybe he was. He said send it all back so he can look at it.

Well – I couldn't do that. :) So I stuck the barrel in a collet and turned half of it down, then flipped and turned the other half down, getting rid of the split part. I threaded with 13mm threads, made some end pieces and a cap from the other piece of rod, and finished it!

img_2815.jpg

img_2807.jpg

img_2815.jpg

img_2817.jpg

I'll send him a finished pen. It's not as cool as I was originally planning – but… there ya go.

I think the girls will really like it. My students were all the time telling me to do pink and zebra stripes. I have made a couple of pens according to student specs and they have been some of my most popular.

Here's the finished pen.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

Thanks! I originally had the black ebonite - but when I goofed it up I didn't want to use any more ebonite up. For such a skinny pen I thought pink might work - make it more of a ladies pen.
:)

SDB777

Certainly an interesting blank. Could you not soak some thin CA onto the threads you had cut and then re-cut them? With the material being 'soft' it might have soaked in just a little, and then added the strength you needed......or maybe I should stop thinking this early in the morning:biggrin:

Nice 'save' with the pink end pieces! Makes the entire blank look all that much better.

Scott (broke-back zebra mountain) B

Top Bottom