Chinese Elm Navigator Surprise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from marcruby

marcruby

As a rule I know what woods I've worked on, where. So when I grabbed a miscellaneous scrap off a work table to try out a new skew I figured it was junk cherry. Turns out it was nothing of the sort. By accident I saw some Chinese Elm on the IAP and then I remembered that a friend have given me a big branch, the parts of which are lost in the chaos of my inventory system.

I did manage to find three more pieces of the wood and heres the first pen. Now I need to make one more for my friend.

Marc

Attachments

• Chinese Elm Navigator1_small.jpg
    Chinese Elm Navigator1_small.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 357
  • Chinese Elm Navigator2_small.jpg
    Chinese Elm Navigator2_small.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 293
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Marc, Great piece of wood and you did it more the justice. Now to that second picture where in the hell did you get Spike the shell. I don't know if you've been around long enough to remember Gerry Rhodes used to have Spike in all his pictures I sure do miss old Spike.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Is this similar looking wood to the Japanese elm?
just wondering, I have a 100+ lb chunk sitting in my shop waiting
for me to get around to cutting it up.

If it looks anything like yours, I'm gonna have a blast..

Dario

Simple elegance...love it. The custom finial does set it off.

Now to that second picture where in the hell did you get Spike the shell. I don't know if you've been around long enough to remember Gerry Rhodes used to have Spike in all his pictures I sure do miss old Spike.

LOL...driving by memory lane again Roy?! :tongue:

VisExp

Marc, the pen looks beautiful. Gorgeous looking piece of wood and a very nice finish. What finish is that? I've followed a couple of your posts about finishes and we seem to have similar views.

VisExp

Thanks Marc. I used Waterlox for the first time today. Aside from the fact that it smelt like used engine oil, I liked it. I put it on a bowl. I think I will experiment with it on some pens.

Longfellow

Chinese Elm

I just recently posted some Chinese Elm blanks on the Individual Classified forum. That may be the wood you saw. Great looking pen. Today I obtained a few very large logs of Japanese Yew, (PODOCARPUS). First blanks look spectacular. Wiil list some in near future. Tomorrow I am going back for more.

marcruby

Yes, it was you - the first group you posted. I'll keep an eye out for the Japanese yew.

Marc

I just recently posted some Chinese Elm blanks on the Individual Classified forum. That may be the wood you saw. Great looking pen. Today I obtained a few very large logs of Japanese Yew, (PODOCARPUS). First blanks look spectacular. Wiil list some in near future. Tomorrow I am going back for more.

nava1uni

Marc,
That is a really nice pen. I really like turning Chinese elm, it is very smooth turning. I purchased some from Ken (longfellow) and it is very nice wood. All the wood I have gotten from him has been really nice.

Longfellow

Japanese Yew

Here is a pic of the fitst cutting on the Japanese Yew I obtained. Later cuttings are even prettier.

Attachments

• IMG_2719 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2719 (Small).JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2722 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2722 (Small).JPG
    46 KB · Views: 85
Top Bottom