Chinese Calligraphy on Handmade Paper; Proverb Virage Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

My dear Chinese calligrapher friends have put me through the paces (strokes), and this encouraged me to make some proverb pens on some of my handmade papers. Here's my first:

"An Old Horse Knows the Way" may date back to the time of ancient Chinese civil wars when a struggling army used old horses to find their way out of trouble; ergo experience matters.

I used standard paper making techniques with 70% Abaca fiber from the Philippines, and 30% Kozo fiber from Thailand; washed thoroughly, simmered X 2 hours at a pH of 10-11 (soda ash used to alkalinize the water); rinsed well; beaten to a pulp with meat hammers; brought into a pulpy solution with a tiny bit of added sizing (alkyl ketene dimer) to make the paper slightly more hydrophobic, blending done with a heavy duty blender; pulp solution dyed with Jacquard dyes (little picture inset below was a plain sheet with no added dye); paper sheets formed with home-made mold and deckle; sheets pressed between blotter papers in a home-made 2 ton bottle jack press x 2 days, then air dried; lightly airbrushed with Createx Clear Gloss Top Coat, and rolled flat by hand with a print-makers brayer (roller) to smooth the surface for calligraphy.

Calligraphy done with India ink (after a lot of practice), using my now-favored and surprisingly versatile 55 degrees-bent-nibbed pen (low price for Sailor Fude De Mannen - Stroke Style Calligraphy Fountain Pen on Amazon).

Calligraphed paper run through the Xyron to add permanent adhesive to the back; then adhered to the acetone-washed brass tubes.

Tubes then twice-sealed with Judikins Diamond Glaze, 48 hours drying time between coats.

Cast tube-in using Douglas and Sturgess Clear Casting (PR) Resin with some flakes.

Turned and finished as usual:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I showed the pen to my buddies in Chinatown this AM - and they came up with all sorts of proverbs for future pens - fun ahead. Old horse may go for it.

Happy Monday to all - Bob

Attachments

• AnOldHorseKnowsTheWay,ChineseCalligraphy,HandmadePaper,markison,Oct,2017,800px.jpg
    AnOldHorseKnowsTheWay,ChineseCalligraphy,HandmadePaper,markison,Oct,2017,800px.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 550
  • AnOldHorseKnowsTheWay,viragefountainpen,markison,Oct2,2017,800px.jpg
    AnOldHorseKnowsTheWay,viragefountainpen,markison,Oct2,2017,800px.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 541
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marko50

WOW

You never cease to amaze me. You make the rest of us "casters" look like slackers!:) You've done it again, sir. Outstanding!:)

magpens

Great stuff, Bob !!! . And ... to boot ... you are a fantastic story-teller both in words and pictures ... from start to finish !!

Last edited:

Bob in SF

A heart full of thanks for your kind words Mark, Jay, Chris, Mal, and Dennis!

It's fascinating to ponder our natural ability to decode ideas and media - particularly when it takes a concerted action of 3 trillion cells, including 86 billion brain cells knitted together by 1+ trillion synapses internally decoding and trouble-shooting DNA "language" 24/7 for general function and self-renewal, while externally trying to make sense and a little novelty out of external raw materials...all of this plus an ideal forum for sharing tiny adventures...

Happy Tuesday to all lucky makers - Bob

leehljp

Member Liaison
I'm glad you told us what the translation was. I picked up "old" and "way" but the middle two characters are different from the Japanese versions. I used to know some of the different versions but that was a long time ago.

I love Chinese and Japanese proverbs, and they are not the same. My favorite Chinese proverb is not well known but it has special meaning to me: "Out of blue comes deep blue!" Meaning: "The student has surpassed the teacher!" (or sometimes it carries the connotation that the teacher did a great job.)

Beautiful work!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Shoot, and I was going to go to Staples to buy some paper tonight... Now I know how to make my own!

Seriously Bob - I greatly admire your enthusiasm for "learning a new/old skill," it is a pleasure to read your threads, but even more to see the results.

I will voice an opinion, that your results with techniques long forgotten, are wonderful. The quality is very apparent.

I doubt you will ever recover the monetary value of your artistry; but I also suspect that is not important to you.

The time and effort to research, conduct trial/error, refine the techniques, produce a final result that is acceptable to you, is probably meaningless to the satisfaction of learning and mastering a new skill. If so... Well Done!

Simply, a beautiful pen with a wealth of history, technique, and appreciation for our "old horses." (Which can be interpreted in a variety of viewpoints).

Be well, Mark

Bob in SF

Mark - Many thanks for your kind comments!!

It's fun to open the door to an international set of proverb pens.

I had some Thai food today, and mentioned the project to the restaurant owner/friend (and showed her the first pen) - she's excited about Thai proverb possibilities. I recalled to her that there are 44 consonants and 32 vowels in the tonal language of Thai - plenty of fodder for little pen barrels - but not so easy. She said it's easy. Hmmm...

More fun ahead.

Stay tuned.

- Bob

Last edited:

Gunnarkouper

Passed Away Sep 21, 2018
In Memoriam
Handmade paper

Bob: Amazing project you have there. I am a retired engineer from the paper industry. I follow most of what you have done and it is surprisingly similar to full production. I am not familiar with those fibers you used but I am sure there was a little bit of a challenge to utilize them. Probably very stiff and lots of non-usable product that comes with it.
Again great work and a beautiful results!

Bob in SF

Many thanks, Darrell and Dan!

Dan - Sounds like you've engineered some interesting large scale paper manufacture. I'm at the tiny end of the spectrum. Thailand Kozo is very fibrous, and Phillipines Abaca is smoother and creamier - but they work well together.

Banana leaves and Yuca also work well together. Master paper maker/author Helen Hiebert has encouraged me to try all sorts of fibers, including garden plants.

I'll study next month with esteemed artist/teacher Michelle Wilson, who specializes in the traditional Japanese Nagashizuki method of forming thin translucent sheets of paper (probably dating back to the late Heian period in Kyoto, 794-1192) - hoping these sheets will find their way into pens with companion paper-shaded/ceramic-based lamps - fun ahead.

Warm regards, Bob

RogerC

Thank you for not only showing the final pen, but for detailing your paper-making process as well. It would've been easy enough to say, "WOW! Really cool pen!", but by knowing what all you went through to get to that final product, I'm even more amazed and impressed.

Really well done.

And my favorite Chinese proverb, by the way: The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

Top Bottom