Chief Warrant Office 4 - PTownSubbie Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My best friend from College has a brother that was promoted to CWO4 last year. He was stationed in Hawaii for 6 years, and has taught classes on "Single Malt Scotch" (When on vacation). So I ordered 2 Cartridge Blanks from Fred (PTownSubbie), with the CWO4 logo, and Stephen's name engraved.

The two pens will be Irish Bog Oak (OK, it's not Scotland, but it's close...) and Hawaiian Curly Koa.

This is the Bog Oak.

I guess the pictures will follow...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hopefully here are the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1070.jpg
    IMG_1070.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 191

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Did you do the pen plus finish again? Looks great.

The engraving is great also. Very cool.

Hi Jason.

Fred (PTownSubbie) can take credit for the engraving!

There is NO FINISH!!!

I wet sanded with Walnut Oil (Amish - strained oil from Walnut Creek, Ohio). Abranet 180-500; then also wet sanded/walnut oil Micro mesh up to 3200 grit. That was it - Walnut Oil.

Dryed with a paper towel!

It is a matte finish; not glossy; looks very "woody". Feels "woody".

But... For a Bog Oak Blank, for someone into 'Scotch" Bog thingies... I think it will be fine!

Steve ("Chip") Hale asked for a pen he could... Throw on his desk; throw on his ship's station desk; throw into a pocket; basically... throw around!

So: he will get this pen - Ancient English Bog Oak. and
a second pen, almost done: Hawaiian Curly Koa (With a nice shiny Pens Plus Finish ( 15 coats as of this minute...).)

Since I'm doing Steve several pens... I owe 7 other family members pens! (oh shucks). So I ordered some Polymer Clay Blanks, and I can clean out some of my stash!

Mark

Bob Wemm

Mark, That is beautiful. Very interesting finish.
Can't wait to see the Curly Koa. That is one of my most favourite timbers. Never used it yet, but have admired it greatly.

Bob.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
That is a really nice pen Mark, I know your best friends brother is going to cherish it. Fred did a great job on the engraving.

kingkeyman

That's a sharp looking pen for shore. Odd coincidence, my sister is a CW5 and is currently stationed in Hawaii. I'm currently in the processes of devising a pen for her for her retirement next year, so stay tuned.:biggrin:

Top Bottom