Chicken Feathers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Shane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

My 2nd attempt at casting feathers, it turned out a little better than the peacock herl did.

Sierra with grizzly hackle. I didn't count but there's about 30 feathers tied to the tube using my fly tying gear.

The picture really doesn't do it justice, it looks so much better holding it in your hands rolling it around :D

IMG_0437.jpg

Comments/Critiques always appreciated.

Happy Turning,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

les-smith

I've been tying flys since I was about ten. So when you said you used your fly tying gear, all I can say is TUTORIAL. The pen looks great and your pictures are awesome. Two of my many favorite things to do, pen making and fly tying. Does it get any better.

Great job.

Originally posted by les-smith
<br />I've been tying flys since I was about ten. So when you said you used your fly tying gear, all I can say is TUTORIAL. The pen looks great and your pictures are awesome. Two of my many favorite things to do, pen making and fly tying. Does it get any better.

Great job.

I agree!

gerryr

Tied to the tube? Very interesting approach. I've done this sort of thing on fly rods, but used color preserver to stick them in place and then coated them with epoxy. What did you use for a finish? The pen looks very good.

Shane

Thanks for all the comments everyone, I appreciate them [:D]

Bill and Les I made a post on how I did the peacock herl on the casting form. I used the same steps only I didn't spiral the hackle around the tube like I did with the herl, just tied them off on the ends.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26939

Firefyter I'm not sure if they were from a Barred Rock or a Bantam. The feathers are probably over 20 years old from back in the day when I used to do a lot of fly tying and actually had free time to take them out and use them.

its_virgil

I like that pen Shane! That's the best "feather under glass" pen I've seen here. Nice choice of feathers and excellent casting. You also picked a great kit/plating to show it off.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Texatdurango

Really nice idea. That's what I like about this forum, new ideas popping up everyday. Who would have thought of making a fen from bird feathers?

Your photography isn't too shabby either, are you are professional photograhper as well?

George

Shane

Thanks again for all the wonderful comments everyone [:D]

Originally posted by Texatdurango
... Your photography isn't too shabby either, are you are professional photograhper as well?

George

George I don't know if I would call myself a professional, more of a serious hobbiest. I shoot weddings and portraits every now and then and have several galleries scattered around the world selling some of my wildlife prints, but since I started turning the only shooting I have been doing lately is to photograph my work.

Originally posted by Brewmeister35
<br />... So if I might ask, the feathers run parallel to the tube and are tied at both ends?
Yes thats correct. They are tyed off to the plugs on each end.

Thanks again,

Darley

Very nice Shane you done a good work on this pen, you found that is better to use only the tip of the feather[;)], about Roast Chicken for dinner tonight [:D]

Originally posted by Shane
<br />My 2nd attempt at casting feathers, it turned out a little better than the peacock herl did.

Sierra with grizzly hackle. I didn't count but there's about 30 feathers tied to the tube using my fly tying gear.

The picture really doesn't do it justice, it looks so much better holding it in your hands rolling it around [:D]

IMG_0437.jpg

Comments/Critiques always appreciated.

Happy Turning,

splinter99

Beautifull Pen!!..I have about 50 birds here between chickens, turkeys, ducks and guinies ..
all pets..some of them may soon be walking around half naked[:D]

Very nice job!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom