Chevrons in shell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dgscott

dgscott

I was very pleased with the way this nickel silver pen turned out. Inlaid with Mother of Pearl and Paua (Abalone) shell in a chevron pattern, each of the 96 pieces around the barrel was sanded and fitted by hand. While it's weighty, the ~14mm diameter makes it very comfortable in the hand (at least, my hand). It is fitted with a 6mm Meister polished steel nib.

And no, the handwriting isn't mine.:frown:

Thanks for looking.
Doug

Attachments

• mopps.jpg
    mopps.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 432
  • moppc.jpg
    moppc.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 319
  • moppts.jpg
    moppts.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 290
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

your work is phenomenal but it bet it would show up better against a darker background. It just seems like the nickel silver is clashing too much with the white paper. Does that material(the metal parts) have a hard time polishing up without so many scratch marks? Thats always been my worry with metal

Last edited:

dgscott

your work is phenomenal but it bet it would show up better against a darker background.

Because you asked (and I hadn't dismantled the lights...)

Thanks for the kind words. As far as finish goes, There are always some super fine polish marks left, but the material is so reflective, they don't offend (at least, they don't offend me!)

D

Attachments

• moppd.jpg
    moppd.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 255

PenMan1

Doug,
I think this my favorite of your posted works to date. AND THAT's saying something as I am one of your biggest fans.

You MUST HAVE the patience of Job to work with Abalone AND nickel silver fluting! BOTH OF THOSE MATERIALS make me drink AND cuss!

Sensational work, as always!

Last edited:

seamus7227

your work is phenomenal but it bet it would show up better against a darker background.

Because you asked (and I hadn't dismantled the lights...)

Thanks for the kind words. As far as finish goes, There are always some super fine polish marks left, but the material is so reflective, they don't offend (at least, they don't offend me!)

D

you rock! thanks, the fine scratches dont offend me, i totally understand the reflection that is caused by the light. I was just curious if it was difficult, i remember the aluminum piece i made once was the same way! So I powdercoated it!

firewhatfire

looks like it was fun to make to me.

I have not built a fluting jig, nor an indexing jig for my lathe but it is on my list to do. or I could just buy a new lathe with the indexer already on it.

Phil

Top Bottom