Chevrons and Segments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Very well done Mark. I have said this before but it bears repeating. You have come a long way with your segmenting. Have a question are you making the segments in a stave pattern or are you using a router??? I ask because it looks like at least 6 sided on the long stripe pen. Do you have a before turning photo of the blank. ???

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very well done Mark. I have said this before but it bears repeating. You have come a long way with your segmenting. Have a question are you making the segments in a stave pattern or are you using a router??? I ask because it looks like at least 6 sided on the long stripe pen. Do you have a before turning photo of the blank. ???

JT, Meet "Frankie" (Your conversations with MPX a few years back was very helpful).

As you can see "Frankie" has long ago lost it's motor; but it does have a rock-solid 360 point indexing plate!

Attachments

• IMG_3424.jpg
    IMG_3424.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_3425.jpg
    IMG_3425.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_3426.jpg
    IMG_3426.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_3423.jpg
    IMG_3423.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_3421.jpg
    IMG_3421.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

Yes, that was six slots. The other is 4. I will next try 8 and 12 with thinner slitting blades. But as opposed to doing pool cue billets (which I have never done) which have a larger diameter, pens are thinner, and there is very little left in the middle when going above 12 slots (at least I think). But admittedly, I'm just playing with these designs so far.

jttheclockman

I am feeling proud right now:biggrin: My knowledge has rubbed off on someone. It is so good to see others attempting this kind of work. As far as cutting slots go you can cut as many as you want as long as the material you are infilling is thin enough. I have cut 12 with no problem. The smallest bit I have is a 1/16". I do have to get back into pen making.

Thanks for the photos and thanks for showing your work. Love what you are doing. When I do get back to having some time with pens you and I are going to push this thing to new limits that have not been seen here.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I am feeling proud right now:biggrin: My knowledge has rubbed off on someone. It is so good to see others attempting this kind of work. As far as cutting slots go you can cut as many as you want as long as the material you are infilling is thin enough. I have cut 12 with no problem. The smallest bit I have is a 1/16". I do have to get back into pen making.

Thanks for the photos and thanks for showing your work. Love what you are doing. When I do get back to having some time with pens you and I are going to push this thing to new limits that have not been seen here.

I'm sure there are other manufacturer's just as good, but I have used this, and have as thin as .050". A bit pricey.

https://wkwinc.com/strbresultlist.asp?subtypeid=8

jttheclockman

I'm sure there are other manufacturer's just as good, but I have used this, and have as thin as .050". A bit pricey.

https://wkwinc.com/strbresultlist.asp?subtypeid=8

Just put it in my save file. I am always on the look out for sites like that. Thanks. I do not mind spending a little more if I can get quality for the product and service people to back them up.

magpens

Nice work, Mark !!!! . Very nice indeed !!!! . And thanks for posting all the how-to pictures. . I think I get it !!!!

You realize, of course, that you cannot now enter these designs in the BASH !!!! :biggrin:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Nice work, Mark !!!! . Very nice indeed !!!! . And thanks for posting all the how-to pictures. . I think I get it !!!!

You realize, of course, that you cannot now enter these designs in the BASH !!!! :biggrin:

LOL - That's OK! I do realize the Chevrons are possibly not a good disguise for me anymore. But they are fun to make. I'm trying to make 20-30 blanks to sell at the MPG (donate the proceeds) to support the event.

BASH - Maybe I'll sneak in one of your designs Mal :cool:!

Actually, I'm just a production Pen Turner... Every pen is a "production!" Not much in my realm goes quick anymore, so I enjoy the process - not sure I've ever been the contest-type.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I like everything about this post. The blanks, the pens and especially Frankie. Well done. I nominate one of these for the IAP collection.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I like everything about this post. The blanks, the pens and especially Frankie. Well done. I nominate one of these for the IAP collection.

Nice try! I appreciate the support, but the "way in" is: "Through Chapter contests; Gathering Contests; BASH Contests, etc." And since I am not concerned about contests, but enjoy the process of making a decent pen... Noooooope. (As long as I am the "caretaker" I will not enter any contests).

Besides, YOU should be there already Bruce!:wink::wink:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Just when I am getting confidence to give chevrons a try! . . . I am putting some together in my mind now. . . and then I see yours! Blows me out of the water! I might as well give up before I try and just order a custom design from you!

Your method of stripes is much easier than mine. I made one back in '08 and nailed it. http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/940/1_Baron_PenStripes.jpg

Only thing is that out of 7 repeat tries later, I could not repeat it to perfection! :eek:

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Just when I am getting confidence to give chevrons a try! . . . I am putting some together in my mind now. . . and then I see yours! Blows me out of the water! I might as well give up before I try and just order a custom design from you!

Your method of stripes is much easier than mine. I made one back in '08 and nailed it. http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/940/1_Baron_PenStripes.jpg

Only thing is that out of 7 repeat tries later, I could not repeat it to perfection! :eek:

Hank, I believe you are a much better pen turner than I! I believe you are just getting your shop all set up again, so you need a few days to screw things up before you settle into a routine. (Yea, you know all that).

The chevrons are actually not that hard, so just do it - Screw up the first two, then you'll do fine!

Your link displays a beautiful pen! I have slitting blades thinner than I have been using, so hopefully I can come close to what you have done.

jttheclockman

Mark you probably know this but another way to make the stripe blank is to do a stave piece blank. You can add accent pieces in of any kind. Here is an old example of a bottle stopper I was making. This happened to be a compound stave cut but a straight stave will work for those blanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom