Chesty Puller would be proud!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JP61

JP61

Got my Jet lathe last week and turned three slimline pens that turned out OK for a rookie. Today I stopped at Berea Hardwoods and got three more kits and some blanks, this being one of them. The first three pens made, I considered practice. This cartridge had to be my first that counted, after all, I am a Marine :biggrin:. Hope you like it and thanks for checking it out. It was fun and found that it was easier for me to turn acrylic than the purpleheart and rosewood I used before, but, I'm sure with some time I'll get better.

Attachments

• 2013-08-19_18-25-01_709.jpg
    2013-08-19_18-25-01_709.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 429
  • 2013-08-19_18-30-22_211.jpg
    2013-08-19_18-30-22_211.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 363
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JP61

Thanks Paul!

I know this pen is no big deal to most of you guys and gals here, but it's my first and will never forget making it.

Rink

Great looking pen. Congrats. I did the same thing...dedicated the first few to "practice runs". As far as the acrylic being easier to turn...I found the same thing. I've made 10 pens now (yes, still arookie!), but I have a bunch of cherry lumber in my shop waiting for it's turn to become furniture, so I made a pen and pencil (PSI slimlines, for practice) from that. I found the cherry turns much differently than the rosewood or purpleheart...it felt much like the acrylic, probably due to the tighter grain. Takes a bit longer to turn, but with a sharp chisel and a bit of sanding it smooths up like glass. Looks great natural color with CA finish. Moral of the story is: don't give up on wood after trying rosewood/purpleheart. I think there are others that are way easier to get a good result. The more experienced folks here on the forum can correct me as needed.

thx, rink.

Russknan

Now try some olive wood. Bet you'll like the way it turns, the smell, and how it looks. Keep up the good work! Russ

Marines1407

Great Pen

Every pen posted is a big deal to us.

Check out the bolt action pen from PSI. Its the perfect pen for us gun-toting Marines. :biggrin:

Semper Fi

plantman

:bananen_smilies046: Very nice pen, but don't throw the first three away. Keep them to see how far you have improved as you go. Thank you for serving so that I may sleep peacefully at night !!!! Jim S

CatSmasher

My first pen was a slimline, gunmetal kit and a piece of maple that someone gave me. I didn't even know how to finish it so I just sanded it smooth.
It is two years old and I use it every day at work. The wood is kind of dirty looking, there is a groove around where the clip touches the upper portion, and the gunmetal is wearing off in spots.
Overall, it is a pretty ugly pen compared to what I make today. But it was my first and it is my 'lucky' pen.

JP61

Thanks guys! Appreciate the kind words!

I have two Sierra kits left, hopefully after my dental :)at-wits-end:) appointment, I'll be able to put one of them together.

JP61

:eek: Cell phone photography :eek:

Attachments

• 2013-08-20_21-37-12_196.jpg
    2013-08-20_21-37-12_196.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 139

plano_harry

Very nice Joe. Welcome to IAP and thanks for your service! Check out Lazerlinez.com Constance has a very nice looking laser cut Marine emblem blank and I think his half price sale is still in effect.

Harry

tim self

Semper Fi, Good work on the fit on them as well. In coming years you will look back and say how bad it looks as you improve. Think acrylic is easy? Grab some Acrylic Acetate and get back to me :). Another proponent for the laser kit Harry mentioned. It's TOUGH. I haven't finished mine, Japanese attacked again and I lost Hawaii!

Top Bottom