Cherry JR Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim15

Hello,
I'm really not much good at telling what woods are supposed to look like, this blank said cherry but it doesn't look like the cherry furniture I havein the house. Is this a different kind of cherry than what they make furniture out of? Comments welcomed.

200651642852_Jr%20Gent%20II%20-%20Cherry.jpg

200651642912_Jr%20Gent%20II%20-%20Cherry%202.jpg

Thank you,
jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Johnathan

Looks great. Wood types can come is such different colors. This looks like a burl so you can get all kinds of variations. I think that we've also become all too familiar with died and stains woods with the name "cherry" on it. Looks like cherry to me. Nice pen.

Dario

Definitely a Cherry burl, and a very good one at that...it will turn rich reddish brown (the color you are familiar with) as it ages. Don't wait, because it may take YEARS.

Very nice looking pen you got there [^].

Woodnknots

beautiful pen!! Most "cherry" furniture has been stained or dyed to make the dark "cherry" look you are used to. I prefer to use unstained wood in everything I do and let the wood do what the wood will do.

BigRob777

Hi Jim,
Yup, that's cherry burl. Nice work with it. I don't know if you got it from me, but sometimes I don't write "burl" on blanks, or I might write "b". Either way, it is a nice pen.
Rob

Jim15

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I think I got the wood from either Dario or Rob. Roger i think you have me mixed up with someone else I am not a lawyer.

jim

mick

Wow! What a great grain! And-- like the other guys here have said-- the cherry we are used to seeing is never as light as cherry truly is. If you go into a high end furniture store, you'll find that fine cherry furniture is never dark--it ages to the beautiful deep patina in about 75-125 years or more. Due to increased popularity in antiques-- smart furniture companies just stain the cherry wood to look like the old stuff. Its been done for so long now, we can't tell the difference anymore! Side note: did you know that cherry was once considered the poor man's mahogany? Ok. Enuff of all that from Mike's other half LOL

What a beautiful piece of wood to find! I just love it when Mike brings in a pen he's been working on, to find such unusual graining or color. No wonder this is so addictive to you guys! and gals!

C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom