Cherry Burl and Walnut (Segmented)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from StephenM

StephenM

I finally managed to get some scraps of wood associated with George Washington and Mount Vernon. It's walnut and the instructions were don't say anything else about it. Finish is BLO and shellac followed up with carnuba wax. I use a pair of jersey gloves turned inside out for the final polishing. Kit is a Lau Lau Retro Rollerball

This is a birthday present for a friend who is a great admirer of the first President and wrote her Master's Thesis on him.

C & C welcome (couldn't find the 50mm lens for the Nikon so had to use my phone)

Attachments

• CherBrlWashWlnt2.jpg
    CherBrlWashWlnt2.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 370
  • CherBrlWashWlnt1.jpg
    CherBrlWashWlnt1.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Steven, that is a beautifuly crafted pen.
I haven't seen a Lau Lau Retro Rollerball before, but it is a perfect choice.
You have captured with the segmentation and style, the image of the era of George Washington.
The traditional finish of BLO, Shellac and Wax adds to this classic.
Perfect Fit and Segmentation is worthy of the Historic Timbers you used.
Congratulations,
Brian

StephenM

I do business with the the girl who got the pen and her mother. Her mother built their business from the ground up and it's doing quite well now.

I gave her a "magic" pen over the summer when they were having multiple problems with their 110 year old house and losing big trees in storms. I used a piece of wood from the house, a piece of a tree that fell over and some Irish bog oak and told her that would take care of all the problems. She loved the pen wand is always trying to get me to sell them at community events in front of her store. I did one for a couple of hours and didn't sell anything. After that I told her thanks but no thanks and she said "You were at one event for 2 hours during the playoffs and didn't sell anything and now you're scared". My reply - "Yep. I'd rather give away 100 than sell 1."

Today was her daughter's birthday and I brought the pen into the shop. She LOVED it. She started sniffling, her eyes were welling up and her other sister said here come the waterworks. I knew she admired Washington but wow. She said it was going on the desk under the portrait of Washington and wouldn't come out of the box. I told her it was meant to be used but she said she would but only under protest. She was showing it to everyone in the store - other workers, customers, etc.

Her mom came over and we watched her for a while and I said "What's the price on that? Now do you know why I'd rather give away 100 than sell 1?" She just shook her head and said "You're the nicest guy in the world but I'm never going to make a businessman out of you."

Top Bottom