Cherry Burl Finally

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from adirondak5

adirondak5

Hi all , I just started turning pens recently , but I've been wood working for a good while now . A few years ago I harvested a good size cherry burl , I had to quarter it to move it by myself when I brought it home after I rolled it off my truck , probably weighed close to 250lbs . I sliced some up and had it air drying for well over a year not far away from the boiler downstairs . A few pieces of about 1" thick x 2 " wide x 4 to 5" long I stabilized with cactus juice about a month ago . Today I sliced up those pieces and got 4 usable blanks. Here's a Sierra I finished today out of one of those blanks .

atXoRpF.png

X49Qsgt.png

41irOtd.png

I turned it down close to size and checked to see if anything needed filling , there were 2 small voids that I filld with CA , once that dried I finished turning to size and sanded to 600 g , followed by EEE , after that I used micro mesh to 12000 , sesaler , followed by friction polish . I really like the look of the burl , there's all kind's of things going on with it

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Herb, That was one Heck of a Burl, it must have been quite a sizeable Cherry Tree.
Burls are Fantastic, and this one is no Exception, It is Superb.
Great Fit and Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

adirondak5

Nice looking pen! That finish turned out great!

Thanks Avi , I like the finish , I've worked with lacquers for a while and feel comfortable using them , although I think a CA finish would probably be a better choice with the burl . I just don't have enough experience yet to try a CA finish on a pretty piece of wood just yet

Wow!! That's a great looking pen. ����

Thank you John

Herb, That was one Heck of a Burl, it must have been quite a sizeable Cherry Tree.
Burls are Fantastic, and this one is no Exception, It is Superb.
Great Fit and Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Thanks Brian . Yes , it was a good size tree probably 14" diameter at the base , we were getting firewood cut at the cabin up in the Catskills and saw the burl , the rest of the tree went to the splitter . The neat thing with burls is the surprise you get when you slice them open and see whats inside

adirondak5

Gorgeous pieces of cherry burl and excellent work on the pen!

Thank you Stan , yes , that cherry burl sure is pretty . I'm down to 2 blanks left , turned another today for my son , a bolt action , I'm finishing assembly in a little while and will get some pics up shortly .

adirondak5

The Burl Sierra will go to my daughter , I just finished up a Burl Bolt Action from same group of blanks for my son . These pens should have some meaning for the kids who are now grown with their own kids . They spent a good part of their childhood at the cabin where that burl was harvested , and we all still go there as much as possible . Here's a few pics of the Burl Bolt Action , same finishing process as the Sierra .

01VqnNr.png

1nm0fDL.png

OZturner

Here's another Cherry Sierra/copper & black . I like the copper hardware , goes good with the cherry .

Beautiful Pens for your Children, Herb.
All have Excellent Fit and Finish, with Superb Kit Choices.
I love the Profile you have made the Cherry Sierra too, It looks fantastic, Great Diet.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Last edited:

OZturner

Here's another Cherry Sierra/copper & black . I like the copper hardware , goes good with the cherry .

I love the Profile you have made the Cherry Sierra too, It looks fantastic, Great Diet.
Congratulations,
Brian.

adirondak5

Congratulations,
Brian.

Thank you Brian . I made a conscious effort on the profile on this last one , big difference in look and feel :)

mecompco

Congratulations,
Brian.

Thank you Brian . I made a conscious effort on the profile on this last one , big difference in look and feel :)

I agree--this is by far the best looking one, IMHO. Great timber and the finish looks very nice. I really don't mind a nice friction polish and have been doing that myself as of late.

Regards,
Michael

adirondak5

Congratulations,
Brian.

I agree--this is by far the best looking one, IMHO. Great timber and the finish looks very nice. I really don't mind a nice friction polish and have been doing that myself as of late.

Regards,
Michael

Thank you Michael . It took a few pens turned to get the feel for a slimmer profile .

Top Bottom