Checkered Sketch Pencils now with Pics!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from huskerturner

huskerturner

This will be my first post on this website. I just finished these two sketch pencils the other day. They will be a birthday present for a co-workers son who I hope will get some good use from them. I may be having second thoughts about giving them up. If anyone has any comments or criticisms about the project please let me know. The wood(s) I used for this project are: Bloodwood / Holly and Gaboon ebony / Holly. and they were turned on my dads old 72 model craftsman lathe and finished with several coats of liquid shellawax.

Thank you to everyone who helped me out with this Picture Problem, Hope you all like the Pencils.

200842631843_CheckerPencils3.jpg

200842631916_CheckerPencils4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Your segmenting is great. Those Artist's Sketch Pencils look great. I have given several as gifts and they are always well received. I have some in the stores that sell my pens. They are not big sellers but do fill a niche and the occasional buyers are thrilled with them. Nice work. BTW, with hard lead installed, they are magically transformed from artists pencils into shop pencils.
For a first post, you hit a home run.

2008426125918_thumbs%20up.jpg

huskerturner

I have been getting all my kits from Craft Supplies USA, they have seemed to be a little better quality. If anyone knows of other suppliers that they have tried and have had good luck with, I might give them a try. I have always wondered if the bushings between company are the same. I have had a few that were a little different for the same pen type, so I have been trying to stay with one company so I dont end up with so many different kinds of bushings.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by huskerturner

I have been getting all my kits from Craft Supplies USA, they have seemed to be a little better quality. If anyone knows of other suppliers that they have tried and have had good luck with, I might give them a try. I have always wondered if the bushings between company are the same. I have had a few that were a little different for the same pen type, so I have been trying to stay with one company so I dont end up with so many different kinds of bushings.

Stick with CS. They aren't perfect but in long run you will have best service and products.

huskerturner

Originally posted by devowoodworking

Very nice work!! I wonder if you could explain the technique you use to prevent the holly from being contaminated with the bloodwood or gaboon ebony?

Thanks for the compliment. This was my first attempt at using these 3 woods together and I did not even think of the black and red bleeding over into the white when I started. when I started finish sanding with the courser grits that is when it would bleed the worst. so I just lightened up on the pressure I used when I was sanding with the grain, and wiped it clean every time with a clean rag (old sock) and it seemed to all but take care of it. after I got to around MM 1500 the problem stopped. There was a few places where there was some darker bleeding so I just carefully tried to sand the one square. After I started to apply the finish, it cleared up a little more. I think the Ebony was the worst of the two as far as color bleeding. :D

toolcrazy

Beautiful pens. I like making the artist pencil. Have made two, gave one to my daughter and one to her boyfriend. Need to buy some more kits.

Dan_F

You're right, they are still listed on the website. There was a similar product that they carried that was discontinued, will have to do some checking to find out what the difference was between the two kits. There was at least one thread in which someone was bemoaning the fact that his favorite kit was no longer available.

Dan

Top Bottom