Check out this antler......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jgrden

Jgrden

View attachment Deer Antler-Stained 3-20-16.zip

IMG_0531[1].JPG

IMG_0530[1].JPG

IMG_0529[1].JPG

IMG_0528[1].JPGView attachment Deer Antler-Stained 3-20-16.zipWhoops, didn't work./ I'll try again.

The third one to left is my daily writer. It adopted me because of the difficulty in deciding what pen to confiscate for my own personal use. I usually carry a good pen but wind up selling it, as every one else does. This one is a beauty and sticks with me. I find that by not showing t to anyone, it stays in my pocket.
Thjanks for looking.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whitehat1994

Hey John, what ya use for stain?
I really like the center pen, reminds me a little of John Wayne using tea to stain his ivory pistol grips!

TimS124

A zip file?

Yuppers, the pictures you see were in the zip file. At least for once I remembers to zip it! :eek:

I get nervous about unexpected zip files as enclosures...too many bad things try to get in that way. :biggrin:

Thanks for swapping to the actual photos. Nice set of pens and that's a different approach for antler than I've seen. I've tried a dying some scraps but didn't like my results enough to commit to a full sized piece....glad to see it can be cool.

Jgrden

Hey John, what ya use for stain?
I really like the center pen, reminds me a little of John Wayne using tea to stain his ivory pistol grips!

I used a tan water based stain from Tandy. It is meant for leather. It works on the final coat under the glue/blo. The antler does not seem to want to soak it in so it is relegated to the surface. Oh, the inside is red stain from Alumilite. After driling just put a dab of this concentrated stuff inside and leave over night. The porous antler will soak it in and when turing from the outside, meets a little of the stain. The blue pen used blue stain the same way.
Thank yo for your interest.

Top Bottom