Cheap Thrills - A ten cent Paper Mate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from G1Pens

G1Pens

Been playing around with this mainly as a way to advance my skills without wasting good blanks and pen kits. The is a Paper Mate (10 for a buck at Wally World). The wood is Spalted Hackberry, of which I have about 50 blanks, The "center band" is from scraps. The pen is refillable.

I had tried doing this in one piece but couldn't get my drill bit to go down the center of a blank that long, So after two failed attempts at that, I dedided to do halves and join then with a band. There is a 7mm tube in the center to hold it all together and provide a support for the glued joints. The body is effectively one piece.

It may not be the best looking pen in the world but it's functional and I learned a lot in the process of making it.

Attachments

• IMG_5711a-web.jpg
    IMG_5711a-web.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 407
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbob

Nice pen

Gary,
Good looking pen! I especially like the spalted wood. One way to minimize the length of hole you have to drill is to cut off the end of the refill that doesn't have any ink. Saves an inch or so in hole depth.

Pens like these are great gifts for kids and grandkids. They're easy to make and inexpensive, but they still have the personal touch of being handmade.

txbob

Top Bottom