Charlie and Rose Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

I had the pleasure of a visit from Charlie and Rose Marie Wortman this week. He was bringing her back to college and had a few minutes to swing by. Both were a pleasure to hang out with. After a quick round of show and tell and blank swapping, I gave a quick little demo on casting and had Rose Marie pick the colors. I plan on sending several of the blanks to them to make some pens with. I kept a couple to see what they were gonna look like. It has alot of 1st for me. 1st one with a clip and I recessed it. COmments and Critiques are welcome and thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

That's a pretty thin cap finial. I like it a lot. Some just seem a little too top heavy when the clip starts so low on the cap. Looks like you've gone totally kitless. It's an addiction within an addiction.

Just out of curiosity, how long is the section minus the threads? Oh, and what size nib is that? And while we're at it, what size cap threads? I like to get a perspective on size. There is almost no to tell how big or small some of these kitless pens are without some sort of reference.

Last edited:

firewhatfire

the cap threads are 12 mm triple start. the nib is a Bock 180(5 mm) the finial is .14 without including the thread and .34 including them. I used a 8x0.75 on the finial. I actually had to drill a recess into the the threaded section of the the finial to allow the cap to screw on all the way, I used a 3/16 bit for that. The cap is 2.23 in long. the body is 3.37 inches long with the threaded section being .31. I tapped the inside of it for the front section with a 9x0.75. The front section is 1.13 inches long including the threads.

the body of the pen at the widest is .51 and the cap at the widest is .56. Capped it is 5.43 long

I think I covered all of the info, I dont have a scale to weigh it on, so I will have to wait till I am in the post office some time.

Phil

Jjartwood

Nice clean looking pen,I like the finial having the button look it cleans up the top alot.
I'm jealous that you took to the kitless thing so quickly!
I feel like I'm the last one to the prom but I'm watching and learning.
Mark

Charlie_W

Hey Phil,
I got home last night in time for the game..well worth it! :)
I called RoseMarie today and got her online to see the blue pen and this one as well as the pic of the blanks out of the mold....Guess what she will be turning first when she gets home in May!
By the way, Super job on that pen! Has your wife snagged this one yet?

Many Thanks,

firewhatfire

I dont think I am gonna let her have this one. It goes to a personal stash.

Hey Phil,
I got home last night in time for the game..well worth it! :)
I called RoseMarie today and got her online to see the blue pen and this one as well as the pic of the blanks out of the mold....Guess what she will be turning first when she gets home in May!
By the way, Super job on that pen! Has your wife snagged this one yet?

Many Thanks,

Top Bottom