Charity Pens for My Church

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WHSKYrvr1

WHSKYrvr1

As most of you were aware the North Alabama was hit hard by the Tornadoes in April. My Church was no exception. The church is Ford's Chapel, the oldest Methodist church in Alabama. The old sanctuary was demolished. I asked my Father if he could get me some of the old framing from the church (some of the wood is from the late 1800) and I would make some commemorative pens and donate the profits to the church. Well I didn't get that wood, but what he brought me is some white oak from the pews that was in the old sanctuary.
The first pen I made is a Leroy black/gold. I just turned it and added a CA finish. The second one is a Leroy gunmetal/gold. I added a stain to the oak and then added a CA finish. The third photo is another view of the second pen.
If the church approves, I am planning on asking $25.00 for each pen. The church should get 12-15 for each one sold. Is the price fair or too high. Also how do they look?

Attachments

• church#1.jpg
    church#1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 170
  • church#2.jpg
    church#2.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 146
  • church#2a.jpg
    church#2a.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 142
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I raised $945 for my church building fund from my turnings last Christmas. Pens, seam rippers, tea lights, candlesticks, ornaments, pen stands, and letter openers, and a gavel.

If they know that the sales go to the church, they will do their shopping with you. I donated all materials, so the full sales price went to the building fund.

Last edited:

mick

William, that's way too low. We're in basicallythe same area and I get much higher prices for the Sierra type pens. Couple that with the fact that they are made from wood from the old church. You should ask at least twice that. Market them right and you can get much more to give your church.
BTW, very nice pens.

76winger

I agree with everyone, $25 is way too low for them and auctioning them through a fund raiser or something should easily bring more and thus more for your church.

I like the looks too. I've made some from leftover scraps of 100 year-old white oak from remodeling parts of my house. The wood really looks nice and a good CA coating gives it durability to keep on lasting.

Top Bottom