Chamise Rootball WW

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gketell

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
TiGold Jr Gentleman's pen dressed in a home-grown worthless-wood Chamise rootball from Livermore, CA cast in red/gold Alumilite with a custom finial, all finished with CA.

20087155390_TPSswap.jpg

Photo taken with a slight change to my normal setup thanks to JayDevin and his "wonder mirror". Using the mirror for the base shows off the pen better and allows the "background" to be much more soft-focus and therefore less obtrusive. IMHO, of course. Now I just need a small acrylic stand to get the pen up off the mirror 1/4" or so...

GK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JayDevin

The Pen is a Stunner in Person!!!

Those who attended the May Northern Ca bubbasville all when home with Chamise Burl. PM me if interested

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Jeff,

You bet there is. Here is a link for lots of info: http://www.biosbcc.net/b100plant/htm/chamise.htm.
chamise04a.jpg

Chamise is a shrub from the Chapparal family. It has a special affinity for heat and fire. Its bark and sap burn really really well but it doesn't kill the plant and it grows back really fast after a fire so it kinda takes over the area. It doesn't hurt that it puts out a bit of poison to slow other plant growth too.

And when you cut into the root ball you get things like this:

2008715172355_Chamise.jpg

This is the actual piece I made this pen and two other blanks from.

GK

Top Bottom