Challenge Swap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Andrew_K99

Andrew_K99

On another forum a small group of members particiated in what was called the 'Challenge Swap'. We were to send our partener a challenge and they were to make a pen from that material and send the resulting pen back to you. My partener was Dave (aka Bellsy).

I received the following items from Dave.

attachment.php

And this was the pen I made and sent back to Dave. It's a Jr Gent II. This was my first attempt at a segmented pen and first time using corian, aluminum (coke can) and bone. It was a lot of fun.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I sent Dave the following materials and recieved this AWESOME pen in return!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Comments welcome.

Andrew

PS All pictures are to be accredited to Dave.

Attachments

• Bellsy.JPG
    Bellsy.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,072
  • andrew5.jpg
    andrew5.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,073
  • andrew6.jpg
    andrew6.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,069
  • andrew7.jpg
    andrew7.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,068
  • DSC02980 - Copy.jpg
    DSC02980 - Copy.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,056
  • andrew3.jpg
    andrew3.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,065

Jim Burr

Banned
Ha! I was in that swap! My skills moved up and I received a great pen in return...it really was a challenge!

Jim Burr

Banned
Sounds like PITH time!!!!!

This really went beyond PITH. To look at a box of stuff with no skill set in mind and make something descent...really...isn't pretty. It we had from 11/1 to 1-31 to crank something out. So if you don't know how to cast and your partner sends you casting stuff...you need to learn fast!!! It really!! raises the thought process and skill level. I learned tons and am working weekly on those skills! Just looking at Dave's...I have dozens of ideas!!! Really...a hard swap/challenge!

Last edited:

76winger

Sweet mother of creativity!

Both are really nice, of course if he weren't set up to cast those seeds and BBs could have presented quite a challenge...

tokyotank

That looks like a blast. What a ceative way to get the creative juices flowing. Gets people out of there comfort zone and makes them learn something new.

Andrew_K99

Thanks all for the comments, this was indeed a lot of fun and made you think outside the box. The only possible down side is it's twice the shipping costs, and twice the shipping time. Some of the cross border shipments took a lot longer then desired as we set a 2 month time frame to get it all completed. I let Dave know that I'm not set up for casting and he sent me appropriate material, I knew he was a great caster so I set him stuff that could be cast. All in all it was a great experience and I'd do it again for sure.

AK

Ambidex

This is an awesome idea..if ya need any help Dale..will do what I can..but am a rookie turner and a puter idiot..my bad, towmbo was looking over my shoulder and said.."why qualify it'..so take puter outa it..

Last edited:

firedkm

Andrew and Bellsy,

Two very nice pens indeed, I am glad you were both game for the challenge.

Dale,

The swap was a lot of fun and with a great group of people it was easy to run, you can see a little more how we ran it here: Challange Swap - A Penturner's Paradise

If you have any questions just ask.

Bruce

Thank you for the info Bruce. The higher ups have been contacted and they like the idea also. I have to do some leg work to get the official go ahead. More details to follow soon!:bananen_smilies039:

Charlie_W

I too was part of the challenge swap. I learned a lot while wondering what I had gotten myself into. I am posting a photo of the pen I received from my partner, Marla. I sent her some very thin, skinny pasta(think skinny spagetti) from the international isle at the grocery store. Marla being a casting pro made this awesome pen!
She in turn sent me some polymer clay which I had never worked with:eek:. I did manage to make a pen and send to her. She has not received it as of yet so I will not post a pic of that one yet.
The swap was fun and I may do another one someday.

Attachments

• Challenge Pen 1.JPG
    Challenge Pen 1.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 146
  • Challenge Pen 2.jpg
    Challenge Pen 2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 144
  • Challenge Pen 3.jpg
    Challenge Pen 3.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 128

Blindzman

I was also involved in this challenge swap and had a great time making a pen and received a great fountain pen from Jim Burr.(Pen daddy)

Bellsy

Thanks for the Kudos guys, this was by far the coolest swap due to the creativity required. Where is El Mostro hiding these days? I was lucky enough to be the only person to get two swap partners. Eugene's pen is also a great looking pen. I am eagerly awaiting his pen back now.

As for Andrews skill set I have to give him a lot of credit for his accomplishment. The thought and work he put into the pen far exceeded what I was expecting in return.

Dave

Top Bottom