A challenge: Customer wants a "girly" pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alawoodman

alawoodman

Customer threw me a challenge last night, asking for something "girly." Since I don't usually think in terms of gender when working with wood, I was stumped. So I went downstairs and looked around my turning stock and saw one of those samples that the folks at Bear Tooth like to include in shipments. This one was Curly Red Poplar, but it's really more pink. Pink and curly sounded pretty girly to me, so here it is. Love that grain.

1_poplarshell-dark1-lr.JPG

1_red_poplar_glasses_cup_lr.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Yep, that should take care of girly for you. I usually just tell Dawn at exotics I am in need of something Girly, and she hooks me up. She's the girly go to girl :)

Beautiful job on that one too.

alawoodman

Finish

Thanks! The finish is the one I'm doing on nearly everything these days -- thin CA, no BLO. I put 3-4 coats of thin CA on, letting them dry well in between, sand at 600 just until the high spots are gone, then start at 4,000 and work through the rest of the Micromesh grits. Usually gets it right the first time.

MartinPens

I was thinking "Talk to Toni if you want a girlie pen." : ) Doesn't get much more girlie than slimline purple and pink flowers. I guess it all depends upon the girlie.

Nice pen. I do my finish the same way and it turns out great almost every time.

Martin

Top Bottom