Chakte-Kok Color Issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NewfoundlandLaw

Hey All

I got a new shipment of 15 Chakte-Kok pen blanks and while they are awesome red on the outside, when I shape them they turn bright Orange.

Is there any way to restore the red colour or will it return with age like purple-heart?

Here is a pen I made for my wife: (It isn't my normal bulbous style pen as it's meant for her smaller hands.)

IMG_0502.JPGIMG_0503.JPGIMG_0504.JPGIMG_0505.JPG

"Pen Turning on the Rock"

magpens

The color of Chakte-Kok can be quite variable and can change in time.
But I do not have any personal experience with it.

Your pen is very attractive as is, in my opinion.

What finish did you use ...

jttheclockman

This wood is also known as Redheart. It will vary in color from orange, pink like in pink ivory, and deep red. But in the end they all will turn tan to dark brown due to UV light. Now keep out of sun light and use a UV prohibitor in the finish and you can hang onto the color a little longer. Yours being it was red may resort back to red. What you could do is after you turn it do not finish it till you see it start changinging and then finish at the tone you wish. It may hold for awhile. The truest long lasting red color is true bloodwood.

Here is an example of Redheart that I finished with a polyurethane with a UV inhibitor in it and it has held up for about 10 years sitting out and looks pretty much this way but maybe a shade or two darker but still red. My board was red from the beginning and stayed that way even sanded.

Attachments

• Copy of IMGP0549.jpg
    Copy of IMGP0549.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Top Bottom