Celtic Steampunk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Broertie

Broertie

Good evening!

I was looking for something challenging to do for a segmented pen blank. I already did an aluminium celtic knot in the past, so that idea was not so exciting. 5 seconds later: why not a double, but a triple celtic knot woven into eachother? Nice idea, let's do it with copper and aluminium! After a week of sawing and glueing it was time to turn. Steampunk hardware volunteerd to accept the pen blank and I am proud to show the results! If I may say so: pretty nice!
2nthgna.jpg
34qa4qd.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!! From a person who loves segmenting I understand the complexity involved in that design and to get it to stay together when drilled is an amazing feat. So nice to see something extraordinary and so far away from the norm here that is tremendous. I hope you do not mind but I need to try this. What glue did you go with the hold together and did you take any other precautions to keep together like wrapping in some material??

You will get alot of likes on that one for sure. A+++++

That is front page material and if it does not make it, an investigation needs to happen.

Ladies and Gents this is a WOW pen for those that always trampled my idea about Hall of Fame catagory.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful work Renger. Your knots are very tight, quite a challenge. We look forward to future works; well done.

Broertie

I hope you do not mind but I need to try this. What glue did you go with the hold together and did you take any other precautions to keep together like wrapping in some material??

I don't mind at all if you try this! It's always nice people like an idea and want to try it by themselves.

I used medium CA glue and took plenty of time te let it cure. I didn't wrap it while drilling, I used a razor sharp drill bit and drilled it very, very slowly, don't let the heat come in.

Most important thing I think is to take the time to make it, don't get in a hurry!

Good luck trying something like this!

jttheclockman

I hope you do not mind but I need to try this. What glue did you go with the hold together and did you take any other precautions to keep together like wrapping in some material??

I don't mind at all if you try this! It's always nice people like an idea and want to try it by themselves.

I used medium CA glue and took plenty of time te let it cure. I didn't wrap it while drilling, I used a razor sharp drill bit and drilled it very, very slowly, don't let the heat come in.

Most important thing I think is to take the time to make it, don't get in a hurry!

Good luck trying something like this!

Wow CA I am surprised. I too have done the aluminum single celtic knot. This adds intrigue. Thanks it is on my to do list when I get back into some pens.

Attachments

• Copy of IMGP0144.jpg
    Copy of IMGP0144.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 135

Broertie

Wow CA I am surprised. I too have done the aluminum single celtic knot. This adds intrigue. Thanks it is on my to do list when I get back into some pens.
I did sand the aluminium and copper very well and degreased it with denatured alcohol.

Very nice aluminium celtic knot you have already made, mine is almost the same.... :laugh:
fpcsjt.jpg

Rounder

Well, I have to be brutally honest here. That is just OUT OF THIS WORLD FANTASTIC!!! That needs to be on the front page for months!!! Very well executed and thought out. You should be proud.

Top Bottom