Celtic Knot with Soda can Aluminum on a Citizen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from StuartCovey

StuartCovey

Here's my first Citizen Rollerball in Rhodium.
It has a Celtic Knot with Soda can aluminum. This is my first time trying using this aluminum and I was extremely pleased with the way it turned out.

This is also my first pen using the Micro Mesh sheets for buffing, the difference is amazing! The finish looks like glass.

Thanks for looking, Stuart

Attachments

• Citizen Rollerball w- Celtic Knot Alluminum-1.jpg
    Citizen Rollerball w- Celtic Knot Alluminum-1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 312
  • Citizen Rollerball w- Celtic Knot Alluminum-2.jpg
    Citizen Rollerball w- Celtic Knot Alluminum-2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 285
  • Citizen Rollerball w- Celtic Knot Alluminum-3.jpg
    Citizen Rollerball w- Celtic Knot Alluminum-3.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 243
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Wow an awesome job on that pen, your Celtic looks perfect and the aluminium really makes it pop. Your fit and finish is spot on.

LeeR

Noob question: do you need to use a different bit to drill this, or is the aluminum soft enough not to screw up a standard wood drill bit?

Chances are you are using drill bits that work fine just fine for metal, as well as wood. And even cheap drill bits are often used to drill thru steel which is a lot harder than aluminum. Besides aluminum, copper and brass are relatively soft. They are easily turned with your standard HSS lathe chisels. I use copper sweat fittings and brass hex fittings used for plumbing, as ferrules for tool handles. They turn really nicely and look great.

Last edited:

tgsean

Fantastic Stuart I love the pen. I have never made a segmented eon, need to read up on how to cut the timber, and I would love to use the aluminium it looks fantastic. Any links on good reading or videos?

OZturner

A Great Pen, Stuart.
Doesn't the Soda Can lift the Celtic Knot to an Awesome Dimension?
Your Knot is Superb, as is your Fit and Finish.
Glad to see that you are using Micro Mesh, it can generate a finish and sheen where finishes like CA are almost not needed, except for use, wear and tear.
Exceptional,
Brian.

StuartCovey

Fantastic Stuart I love the pen. I have never made a segmented eon, need to read up on how to cut the timber, and I would love to use the aluminium it looks fantastic. Any links on good reading or videos?

Just do a search on Youtube, you'll find alot. You can use anything to cut it, I use a table saw with some homemade jigs. Some people even use hand saws but they don't give as clean of cuts.

StuartCovey

A Great Pen, Stuart.
Doesn't the Soda Can lift the Celtic Knot to an Awesome Dimension?
Your Knot is Superb, as is your Fit and Finish.
Glad to see that you are using Micro Mesh, it can generate a finish and sheen where finishes like CA are almost not needed, except for use, wear and tear.
Exceptional,
Brian.

Yes, it definitely does brings the pen to a completely new level.
And I absolutely love the Micro mesh!

Top Bottom