Celtic Knot on a Scrollsaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I've been wanting to make a Celtic knot blank, not having a jib for my table saw I was wondering if it could be done with my scroll saw and here it is. I paired it up with a executive sierra kit. All C&C welcome. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 258
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks so much Mark and Jim for your very nice comments. I forgot to say that the blank is made of Red Oak and Walnut

Last edited:

Big

I just hope that some day, some how, I will be able to something even partially that awesome.

Krash

Nice job Dan. I like the simplicity. Plus, I love walnut and oak together. Not sure why but they just complement each other well.

Thanks for posting. The celtic knot is not a pattern I've tried yet.

Janster

.....Well done Dan. There is always room for improvement, keep at it! Turned out nicely. Be well.......Jan

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks Michael, Billy, Kelly and Jan for such wonderful comments. Michael I'm sure once you get to turning we'll see some awesome pens from you. Kelly; while Red Oak and Walnut pair well together you should pair Red Oak and Poplar very nice.

Gary Beasley

Ok, since the scrollsaw has a negligible kerf to the cut I'd love to know how you handled this one. Another thing, using veneer you can do curved inlays too. I gotta try a knot with curved cuts sometime and see what happens.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks Glen and Gary for your comments. I took a 3/4" square blank and drew a 3/4" x 3/4" square on one side, next I marked a diagonal line across the square and cut the blank on that line. I knocked of the rough edge on the right side of the blank (if you try this you'll see what I mean) now with a double thickness of veneer as a filler I glued the blank back together using CA. After the glue sets I sand the excess veneer off. Next I mark another diagonal line on the opposite corner and cut on that like and glue in another double thickness of veneer being sure keep the first layer of veneer aliened. Once the glue has set and the excess veneer has been sanded off repeat the sets on the opposite side of the blank. I hope that gives you somewhat of an idea on how I did it. I'm sure you could do the same think with a band saw.

Gary Beasley

Sounds good. I use a bandsaw or tablesaw to make knots using the technique of almost cutting through and using inserts that match the kerf. Never tried cutting all the way through to make the knot. Figured I have enough problems as is.

OZturner

Great choice of Red Oak and Walnut Celtic Knot Blank.
Do you "true" sand after your Scroll Saw Cut?
The second photo upper right insert looks a little wavy, (it might just be the photograph).
Celtic Knots, are filled with difficulties, and can require considerable practice to obtain consistant results.
Because of the contrasting timbers used, they highlight every slight deviation, and misalignment that may occur.
You are well down the path, keep at it.
Love your choice of Kit.
Brian.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks Brian for your comment. I did not do any truing sanding I cut made the cuts and glued things up. I just wanted to see how it would work using a scroll saw more of less just playing around.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thank you Waggner, Tom T, Mike S, johncrane and Mike so much for a awesome comments. Evelyn has not claimed this one yet, she is more fond of 7mm type pens.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Dan, considering how you made the knot, I think you did remarkably well.
I'm not sure if you know this but the big cheat with creating perfect knots is to only cut a slot in the blank instead of cutting all the way through.

If you cut, say about 90% way through the blank for each cut, then insert each veneer, then sand down flush with the blank sides again and then do the same for the next three cuts, you will find that you have a perfectly intersecting set of rings.
It makes it even more accurate if the blank is nice and square to start with as it is easier to drill down the middle afterwards. :wink:

Very well done:biggrin:

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thank you Steven for that great comment. You are right on the money about having a square blank but you should also be sure your blade is at 90 deg. I going to make a jig for my table saw one day.

Top Bottom