Celtic Knot.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from 3Peake

3Peake

Here's a quick pic of the pen that was going to be my pen to my PITH partner this year.
The reason this one never made it was that it kept blowing itself apart and I've only just managed to keep my temper long enough to actually get all the bits back together.
I did actually glue it back together about 4 times whilst still trying to beat the deadline but when it blew apart again I decided to do another pen as I knew it was not destined to be.............until now.
It is double dyed box elder burl in red and black with a celtic knot cut into it using black plastic sheets and a brass sheet either side of these, all fitted to a gold titanium Cigar kit.
I am pleased with the outcome and it is going into my own collection as I'm NOT going to make another like this again.
Thanks for looking and C & C are welcome.

Merry Christmas everyone:biggrin::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

islandturner

The reason this one never made it was that it kept blowing itself apart and I've only just managed to keep my temper long enough to actually get all the bits back together.
I did actually glue it back together about 4 times whilst still trying to beat the deadline but when it blew apart again I decided to do another pen as I knew it was not destined to be.............until now.

I do feel your pain....! :rolleyes:

It is amazing that ordinary carpenter's glue will glue together two pieces of softwood, so perfectly that the wood will break at some other point, rather than at the join. Yet in a segmented blank, all of our exotic glues, epoxies, CA etc, will fail over and over again, trying to sandwich a piece of metal between two pieces of exotic hardwood. That's with sanding, surface prep, etc etc. Sometimes it's at one particular segment, and all the rest hold perfectly....

In your case, it was worth the battle -- this Cigar is outstanding.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Wow.. Overall I say this is one of the prettiest celtic knots I've seen... The materials and color choices are very good.

The only constructive critisism I have is that you need to remove as much material during your cutting as is going back in. That would stop the issue of alignment on the rings.

Gary Beasley

I had issues with my knots blowing out then I started swabbing the inside of the blank with thick CA where the knot was before putting the properly glued up tube into it. That drastically reduced my problems.
Thats a very nice design, how wide was the cuts you made for the knots, looks bigger than the usual 1/8th inch kerf.

SDB777

What was the cause for all the 'blowouts'....did you ever nail it down to one thing?

Great knot, got some 'body' to it...not the skinny ones like I'm always seeing!

Scott (my collection grows due to mistakes) B

wiset1

I'm glad you pushed through this one, it truly turned out looking fantastic! Blowouts can really take a toll on your sanity so it's good to see when people stick with it.

sumterdad

That is very nice. I believe that after the first of the year I am going yo dedicate my shop time.to learning the Celtic knot

Top Bottom