Cellulose Acetate by Mazzuchelli Jewel of Poseidon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mrburls

mrburls

I tried out some of this NOS of cellulose acetate rod made by Mazzuchelli this week. This one was called Jewel of Poseidon. This stuff can be difficult to drill, but drill on the lathe and with lubricate was not so bad. I've drilled some of this same type of material a few years ago on a drill press and it can heat up quickly and melt. Polished up real nicely. Oh yah, you can find this material at exoticblanks.com
Close up of material was a little dusty (sorry about that).
Keith "mrburls"

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 565
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 919
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I have purchased and turned some of this same material from Exotics, and it is some STAND OUT pen material. It is a bit expensive, but worth it! I think that photos will not tell the whole story on this cellulose acetate, but it is amazing beautiful. I bought some, tried it, and went back for more.
Steve

mrburls

Beautiful! I picked up a stick of that at the MAPG to try out. So how close was it drilling for the Jr. Statesman?

There is plenty of material for doing the Jr. series pens. I may try to push it for a Imperial, have to check closer thou.

Keith "mrburls"

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A little help...

Beautiful! I picked up a stick of that at the MAPG to try out. So how close was it drilling for the Jr. Statesman?

There is plenty of material for doing the Jr. series pens. I may try to push it for a Imperial, have to check closer thou.

Keith "mrburls"

It will take some precision, Keith!! The OD of the Imperial is .616" according to the bushing chart. The smallest diameter of the Celluloid rods is .65". So, it CAN be done.

I would drill a 7mm hole dead center to start, then enlarge that hole a couple times to get to your 35/64" (.5469"). I believe that enlarging an existing hole will allow you to cool the blank more efficiently as you drill. So the remaining material won't melt or deform as you drill.

FWIW,
Ed
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Scooter331

I tried out some of this NOS of cellulose acetate rod made by Mazzuchelli this week. This one was called Jewel of Poseidon. This stuff can be difficult to drill, but drill on the lathe and with lubricate was not so bad. I've drilled some of this same type of material a few years ago on a drill press and it can heat up quickly and melt. Polished up real nicely. Oh yah, you can find this material at exoticblanks.com
Close up of material was a little dusty (sorry about that).
Keith "mrburls"
nice cast and pen chers

Scooter331

im looking for some good videos on casting as I'm yet to have a go at it any help appreciated in particular how to cast with multiple colours regards scooter

Top Bottom