Cedar pen and stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Darkshier

Darkshier

12265 s Strang Line Rd Apt 515 Olathe Ks 66062
I started this pen for the Spring PITH but I wasn't quite expecting the cracks in wood from sitting in the weather to be quite so pronounced. This is still a work in progress. I'm filling the cracks with Polyurethane and coating the stand with the same. I had so many issues making this pen I lost track of them all. I didn't cut the wood down to a more manageable size because I don't have the proper tools for it and I drilled off center to avoid the larger cracks hoping to get a couple hair-line cracks to match the stand as they came from the same cedar branch. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Cedar pen 1.jpg
    Cedar pen 1.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 188
  • Cedar pen 2.jpg
    Cedar pen 2.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 134
  • Cedar Pen 3.jpg
    Cedar Pen 3.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 133

Hendu3270

I started this pen for the Spring PITH but I wasn't quite expecting the cracks in wood from sitting in the weather to be quite so pronounced. This is still a work in progress. I'm filling the cracks with Polyurethane and coating the stand with the same. I had so many issues making this pen I lost track of them all. I didn't cut the wood down to a more manageable size because I don't have the proper tools for it and I drilled off center to avoid the larger cracks hoping to get a couple hair-line cracks to match the stand as they came from the same cedar branch. Let me know what you think.

Tough break about the crqacks but yeah, try to make them a feature by filling with some color.

SDB777

Branches have an enormous amount of stress in them, try getting the pen blank from the main trunk, it will certainly help a lot with the cracks.

This is still something that would be considered 'unique' by the right person. Every one likes something different.

Scott (me like some Cedar) B

Top Bottom