Cedar, courtesy of Bobalu.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

263547_174995899227150_100001502242963_440278_8004083_n.jpg

263739_174995955893811_100001502242963_440280_7669348_n.jpg

The cedar came from a big ol' box of blanks and cutoffs Bobalu brought to the Georgia meeting. I figured it was gonna look good, but I wasn't expecting it to be THIS good. Thank you, sir and I found a new wood I like. It's like turbocharged Leyland Cypress. Also, I'm still trying to get totally dialed in on the centerbands, I know it's a hair uneven.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Eastern Red Cedar is a fun wood to turn, and the 'value' of these blanks are often overlooked with all the swirly acrylic blanks, burls, and 'super woods'..... They smell better then most woods being turned, and they accept just about any kind of finish with ease!

You done pretty good! The center band might just need a little squaring up, but overall it a big thumbs up!!

Scott (thanks for sharing) B

D.Oliver

Brooks803 blanks and now this? I think I'm going to have to make a road trip to the next Georgia meeting!

Drstrangefart

Brooks803 blanks and now this? I think I'm going to have to make a road trip to the next Georgia meeting!

I think if you drive all they way to Georgia just to catch a meeting, you'll have no trouble finding a place to crash and some good people to hang out with. I just got REALLY fortunate this particular meeting. Great group of people.

Longfellow

Eastern Red Cedar is a fun wood to turn, and the 'value' of these blanks are often overlooked with all the swirly acrylic blanks, burls, and 'super woods'..... They smell better then most woods being turned, and they accept just about any kind of finish with ease!

You done pretty good! The center band might just need a little squaring up, but overall it a big thumbs up!!

Scott (thanks for sharing) B

I agree about the Eastern Red Cedar

Attachments

• IMG_3590 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3590 (Small).JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 98

bitshird

Nice pen, and I'd rather turn Eastern Red Cedar/ Juniper than a lot of wood I can think of, it's got a lot of color, a very pleasant smell, and doesn't try and splinter like pine! keep at it, your getting better all the time!!

Bobalu

Nice pen, Allen. That blank was from a tree my son-in-law cut down at his family's home last summer. I still have a few nice pieces in the garage. Don't tell him I gave away some of his favorite wood.

Drstrangefart

Nice pen, Allen. That blank was from a tree my son-in-law cut down at his family's home last summer. I still have a few nice pieces in the garage. Don't tell him I gave away some of his favorite wood.

If I ever get set up to turn Zens, I hope I remember to find more of this stuff.

ToddMR

Looking good man! I have used white cedar and also aromatic, but not this kind. I will have to keep my eyes open for it. I have a couple aromatic blanks sitting at home, but not sure what I want to turn it for yet. You did good with the cb. I need to get off my behind and try some of those. I just am scared I will blow it up super bad lol. I think it looks really good imo.

Drstrangefart

Looking good man! I have used white cedar and also aromatic, but not this kind. I will have to keep my eyes open for it. I have a couple aromatic blanks sitting at home, but not sure what I want to turn it for yet. You did good with the cb. I need to get off my behind and try some of those. I just am scared I will blow it up super bad lol. I think it looks really good imo.

With a simplified process and a good saw, you can make one in about 20 minutes or so. Give it a shot!

wizard

Allan, I think that pen looks great! Love the hues in the wood and the centerband really sets perfectly with it. The centerband looks fine from here. Thanks for showing. Oh, did you turn it in the A.M. or P.M. ?:wink: Regards, Doc

Top Bottom