Cedar Churchill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Firefyter-emt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

This one is kind of an odd combo, girly colors in a large pen. :)

I had thought about replacing the wood for a more fitting kit, but I needed a pen to replace one sold in a store display soooo... I went with a home brew friction polish to retain the cedar smell and have a "wood feel" pen. I really do not use FP finishes, but this home brew is holding up pretty good on a cherry gouge handle I put it on though.

BTW, this is one of Jeffm19's pen blanks. :D
315071.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

I also like the "home brew finish"! So tell me....how do I ask this.....If I had a home that had something in it.....and then I made some brew and put something in it......then I finished off the evening by adding a finishing touch to my brew.....What would be in it?

Firefyter-emt

LOL... To be honest, it's not all my formula but I tweeked the Bonnie Kline finish a bit, it's simply 1/3 Shellac, 1/3 BLO, 1/3 Denatured Alcohol and maybe a small gumball sized dollop of carnuba. Now this is only the third turning I have used it on, but I did a roughing gouge and applied a couple coats to the handle and it has held up rather well. I wanted to "test" it on the cedar to see if it would allow the cedar smell and still look decent. It has a satin like finish and feels nice in the hand. I wish I could test the pen for a while, but I hate leaving a hole in my store display! [:D]

angboy

Originally posted by johncrane
<br />hi Lee l think your pen looks great. l can't smell it from here but l am sure it would be sweat.[;)][:p][:D]

Lee, I think I'd be insulted, John thinks your pen smells like SWEAT!! I hope he meant sweet! [}:)][}:)][;)][;)]

I like the pen a lot and your cedar is more pink than a lot I've seen. But since you think it's girly[:X][:X], it probably shouldn't be in your posession. So I'll sacrifice and keep it in my posession for you.[:p][:p] Just drop it in the mail to me! (Everybody's always wanting to relieve people of their pens, but in the case I think I really have a justifiable reason that he should give it to me!)[}:)][}:)]

Ozzy

The pen and the handle for your roughing gouge both look great. Thanks for the home brew recipe. I make a lot of pens out of Juniper and my customers love the smell, I've been trying to find something that would protect better than just wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom