Cedar Burl Gents Pen w/ Inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from nilsatcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilsatcraft

Yesterday Anders (my son) and I went out to the shop and attempted another angled inlay pen. Anders helped do most of the bottom barrel and he had a lot of fun. Gary Max provided the wood on this one- it's really old Cedar burl with Osage Orange inlaid. It didn't come out quite how I had hoped and the symmetry is lacking, but it was fun to make. In my opinion, it's a bit much. Overkill. Next time I think I'll use thinner inlays and maybe not so many. The burl is beautiful, though- so thanks to Gary for that. Please feel free to comment.
PS- Once again these photos were taken on my curtain at home [:I].

2005116175128_CedarGents.jpg

2005116175144_CedarGents2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Very sharp Nils, great job on the inlay, the cesar burl is not to shabby either.
I was lucky enogh to get a great block from him to. The woods go well together.
I think Gary tells everybody his wood is 400 years old [:D]

woodscavenger

Great pen. Great wood. Great inlay work. I do have a question that is not meant as a detraction.

Why do most of us put the fancy inlays in the upper barrel where the clips always get in the way of the artwork?

Gary Max

Hey Anthony---if you like the 400 year old stuff ???? You should see my private stash of over 500 yr vintage. We are talking about a handfull of blanks. It is very well hid in my shop.

nilsatcraft

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.
Shane- Good question! I put the inlays on the top because it just doesn't seem like the design of the pen would be balanced if the inlay were on the bottom. I'm not quite sure why that is but that's why I do designs on the top. [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom