CCC Holiday Experiments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ed McDonnell

Ed McDonnell

I finally got some shop time this week and I've been working on a design for a Christmas pen. The picture show two color variations of the same design. One is bright multi-color and the other is more muted (almost like a lightly patinated bronze).

The blanks were created with the CCC technique I've explained before using my ornamental lathe and multiple casts. I used a fine detail brush (it only had two bristles, one from a virgin free range sable that was fed an organic diet of wild caught trout:rolleyes: and the other from a rat) to apply to color to the carved areas. The multi-colors are fluid acrylics. The more muted pen is also multi-color, but much more subtle. After the fluid acrylics, I applied a bronzing wash and some interference "metallics" as an overcoat.

When I was done I decided I liked the muted color scheme better. But I showed the pens to everyone at Thanksgiving dinner yesterday and the multi-color pen was everyone's favorite. Nobody preferred the muted one. Not even one person. Oh well.

All comments welcome.

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jjartwood

Shut the back door!!!!!
Those are mind blowing! You honest to God painted them with a brush with TWO hairs on
it? IMPRESSIVE
How does one justify in ones mind that they just purchased a paint brush with 2 hairs on it,can you still call it a brush?
Beautiful work!
Mark

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

Thanks for all the compliments.

I used the mirror to try to show some more of the carving that would otherwise not have been visible (without posting more pictures). Guess it was a good thing that I didn't put an additional mirror behind the pens:wink:. I almost did, but I was too lazy to walk back down to the shop to get one.

For those wondering, I have about two weeks of work invested in these pens. And the brush really did only have two bristles :eek: and they were really short. I had to use a 10x magnifier to see what I was doing.

Next time I do something like this I'm going to have to rig up a more comfortable work station. Hunching over the lathe for hours doing the painting was tough on my back. I may have gotten a little sloppy towards the end :redface:.

Ed

Top Bottom