CAUTION~May cause dizziness

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Toni

Toni

If you look at this design to long you may get dizzy.

Not loving the design, curious if ANYONE is?
4782203163_5ffc629989_b.jpg

4782203259_737fae1c00_b.jpg

Toni

Seriously? I am so close to removing the tubes from the kit, thought I would get some feedback before I did it. Colors sure are bright:eek:

PenPal

Toni,

When the pen is together its a stunner for me. It is when open it loses a lot think its the competing chrome.

I gave this a lot of thought and I am a real fan of your work intoto, and I also believe this pen is allowed to break the mold if you are happy with it, without your support your choice as always I would value.

Regards Peter. Downunder neighbour.

bruce119

I like the design the weave of the thread kind of looks like woven yarn.

:biggrin: VERY COOL :biggrin:

Now the colors are OK play around with the colors but the design is great.

arkie

The chrome competes and confounds the eye even when closed, though less so than open. If you can do this in a darker metal I think it is a sure winner.

Toni

Darker metal such as? Possibly a different kit?

I am greatful for the suggestions and comments.

Actually the pattern is supposed to look like a basket weave. I did this pattern on an egg, it looked great. Wish I could find the photo

ToddMR

I was just about to say it looks sort of like a basket weave lol. Are some bright colors too. You always do nice work, not to be negative, but it is almost like the colors are too strong lol. Just my opinion.

Toni

I was just about to say it looks sort of like a basket weave lol. Are some bright colors too. You always do nice work, not to be negative, but it is almost like the colors are too strong lol. Just my opinion.

All good:) I dont disagree with you at all!!

GREAT!!!

I like the look of that pen. Those colors are really pop!

You have inspired me to get some clay while we were at crafts2000 last night looking for the kids birthday party items.

Now after I clean my casting mess I will have to give these a try.

Wow this pen making sure can become addicting!:bulgy-eyes:

Jesse

wizard

Beautiful pen !! The pattern is gorgeous ! I do wonder how the brown shade you used for one of the rose patterns might look. Doc

witz1976

Toni, that is just plain incredible! Like it was said, if you have more chrome kits, I would try much darker shades of the basket weave, but obviously keep the white background...heck you may be able to get away with the bright neon colors on a black background with the chrome...who knows. Either case I like it, it is great work!

*edit* now that I looked at it again there is no white background...just a "shine" you put on the threads...never mind

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Love the pattern, but the colors leave something to be desired, think useing two shades of tan would look awesome.

Seer

Back in the 60's this would look like a normal pen but this is a stunner the colors and style are cool not my cup of tea but it is cool.

Toni, I am with Roy on this one. The pattern is nice, but the colors really push it over the top. It is very unique and as always your craftsmanship is tremendous. You know I am a fan, but this one is not my fav. I still luv ya though!

jskeen

Hey Girl :) You haven't quit on us! I was wondering what you were up to down there. I love the quilt pattern idea. It has potential to be a real big seller. I almost never like a sierra better than a jr. gent, but I suspect that this pattern might work better on a kit where you don't have to worry about aligning it across two different size tubes. The little bit of distortion at the top of the tubes would probably be easier to avoid on a straight tube too. Definitely don't give up on the concept though. I think that a version that is a little more monochrome might sell more often, maybe in browns, like tooled leather, or something like that. I really like the white highlight in the middle of the colors though, gives it a lot of depth.

Keep that one for sure though, It will make a great centerpiece for the display and grab attention as people walk by. I could see that in one of those curved wooden displays, in the center with a half dozen Elegant beauties and sierra's on either side. I bet anything that half the people walking by would stop and look at it, then pick up one of the others, and a good percentage of them would buy one. If you price that one at double the price of the sierra's and put the price where people can see them, they will sell even faster. and but you better make at least 2 or 3 more of the bright ones, cause when somebody does buy it, it will mess up your display. (and somebody out there would buy it, especially if it's really expensive) but it will sell you a bunch of sierra's first. Bet on it!

Damn, that took forever to type:-( I'm due for another vicodin.

Kaspar

If you look at this design to long you may get dizzy.

Not loving the design, curious if ANYONE is?

The concept is awesome. I'm sure there are people who will love it. It will remind them of their LSD trips in the Sixties. (The colors! THE COLORS!!!) Some, like me, will have trouble with that much color, though it would come in handy if you needed to signal low-flying aircraft. As some have suggested, why not do the same design in earth tones to get a real basket weave look? Also I can imagine it working in black and white, and other more complimentary color combinations.

I love the quilt pattern idea. It has potential to be a real big seller. I almost never like a sierra better than a jr. gent, but I suspect that this pattern might work better on a kit where you don't have to worry about aligning it across two different size tubes. The little bit of distortion at the top of the tubes would probably be easier to avoid on a straight tube too. Definitely don't give up on the concept though.

There are some larger kits that have the same diameter tubes top and bottom. And really, you can make a pen kit with different diameter tubes have the same overall diameter by leaving the bottom tube material thicker. You will need a small bevel at the centerband end to ensure the correct fit.

The 60s will NEVER die :rolleyes::tongue::biggrin:

Oh, damn. We need to try harder then. Time to re-up, my membership in the National Association for the Advancement of Time whose motto is "we hope to end the Sixties in your lifetime."

toddlajoie

Personally, I think it looks FANTASTIC as is. Many things are not for everyone, and something like that is likely not for most people, but one person's trash is another's treasure as they say... I've wanted to buy one of your pens for quite a while, and keep missing the opportunities (they go SOOO quickly, and I'm never around when they are posted...) so let me just say that before you dis-assemble or change anything, if you're interested, there is a buyer right here (PM me...) Of course, they are your creations, and if you don't like it and don't want it out in the world representing your work, I understand..

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Keep it just the way it is. It reminds me a lot of my working visits to any big city. 99.9% of the people are wearing black or grey and they look really miserable......:frown: Then a pretty girl wearing something really bright walks past :biggrin: Lights up the entire street!!!:tongue:

tim self

I think it looks great too. It's easier on the eyes open but get's real busy when closed. I can see the basket weave and still like it. LOML would kill for it.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Toni,

I have a funny feeling that it would be a huge hit for someone! Personally, I would be like James - If I had this one, it would be a centerpiece. It would draw attention without a doubt and would probably sell much faster than you think.

Buzzzz4

Hey Toni,
Fantastic design. Personally not a fav. with the colors, but I'm told there is a buyer for everything. Definitely keep working with it with some other popping colors.

Thanks for sharing!

phillywood

Toni, the pen design on the blanks look really nice. I think what the dizziness is about is that you picked the colors from the same family instead of being contrasting. blue, Green, purple are from the same family. I think look at the color wheel and if you picked the contrasting colors you should be OK. the work itself is amazing.

Kaspar

Keep it just the way it is. It reminds me a lot of my working visits to any big city. 99.9% of the people are wearing black or grey and they look really miserable......:frown: Then a pretty girl wearing something really bright walks past :biggrin: Lights up the entire street!!!:tongue:

Rat, it may have something to do with the girl being pretty.

IPD_Mrs

Toni, I have been admiring much of your work as you have posted it. This one I have to admit is not one of them. I do like the basketweave. But the colors are way too bright for the weave (for me that is - and mostly because it pops my migraines right into action.) I'd love to have your talent though .. I can turn the wood and resins down and buff them up ... but I wouldn't even begin to know how to create the way you do.

Keep up the good work!!
Mrs.

Top Bottom