Catalpa Burl with story

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

These are Catalpa Burl Euros. I made 14 of them for family Christmas stockings. They were sanded up to 600, sealed with thin CA, brushed 6 coats of lacquer, and polished with EEE Cream and Ren wax.

I wish I had a pic of the tree this wood came from. In a town near my home stood the largest Catalpa tree I have ever seen. It was between 5 and 6 feet thick. Its surface was covered with several burls ranging from baseball size to watermellon size. My wife and I spotted the tree several years ago, while coming home from our favorite lunch spot. It was in a neighborhood behind the business. Everytime we would pass by, I would wish I could get those burl. Back in October I was on my way home from picking up carryout when I decided to look at my favorite tree. I turned the corner to see the road blocked and the tree half down from the lumber jack company. In shock I drove home and quickly ate my lunch, telling my wife I had to go back. A short time later I found myself walking up to the man in the blue hardhat, talking with an older man in a ballcap. I asked him if there was any chance I could talk to someone about getting a couple pieces of the tree and he told me he already told the man in the cap he could have it all. Deeply in disappointment I thanked him and said no harm in asking. The older man walked behind me as I left, and stated it was a large tree and he was just going to use it for firewood. FIREWOOD!!!! Well, to make this long story short, he showed me where it was going to be dumped and allowed me to come back the next day and cut what I wanted. The next day and three hours later I had 10 large chunks of burl and crotch off the tree and on my way home. I had never turned catalpa and had no idea what it would look like but I knew it was a burl and had high hopes. The pieces I used are darker than some but it was dry enough to use so the rest will have to wait. I only wish I would have gotten a picture of that tree. I did thank the older gentleman for being so kind with several wood pens. I can only hope I get that lucky again.

Attachments

• Catalapa Euros.jpg
    Catalapa Euros.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That's a lot more character than the catalpa I had... I had a chuck that I made a peppermill from. It was so blah that I took some green stain and stained it to hopefully make it look better.

I do like the burly effect you got there. Good haul.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Your efforts paid off . Good job spotting the tree and the burls . The wood and you made some very nice pens . Good job .

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Great pen and a great save. I have gotten some beautiful wood out of firewood including some oak burl and some spalted curly locust that I almost threw into my own fireplace.

JohnU

...ohh and this is definitely gloat worthy.

I keep telling my wife that but she isnt buying it. Something about "when are you going to get this wood out of the basement" ... all I hear is blah blah blah. Im still too busy smiling.

Thanks for all the comments.

bitshird

I've never tried catalpa either, all I've seen before yours didn't have any character, but yous is gorgeous, now1 I would like ti find some, It was a very nice gesture on the mans part, and I'll bet he enjoys the pens, thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom