Casting with Tauga Nut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Deere41h

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deere41h

This is the result of an attempt to add Tagua Nut accents to polyester casting. The casting was black with white pearl. Minor problem in that I didn't use enough pigment. The tube does show through at both ends. Still learning about casting resins and having fun doing it.

20056116130_CastTaguaA.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

I think it adds an interesting effect, John. If you don't admit the error, no one will ever know it wasn't planned. BTW, was that one of your ice cube mold blanks?

elody21

Take care of the problem of the tube showing by using (in this case) black wood dye or black shoe dye on the inside of the drilled BLANK with a cue tip.. The drilled resin has enough (tooth) to accept the dye. Of course on other colors you would use the appropiate dye.
Beautiful pen! I like the accents!

Added

I have tried adding the color to the glue, but since the glue does not stay put every where it is put dying the inside of the tube works the best,

JimGo

John,
That looks really cool! I have the same problem with the tubes; I think Alice might be onto something. I'd also suggest trying something I read somewhere in my Internet journeys; you can add pigment to the glue (the site I visited added the pigment to epoxy) to help keep the tubes from showing through. I was going to try that approach this weekend.

---
Thanks for the feedback Alice! [:)]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I use a basic black Sharpie marker to color the tubes and use 5 min epoxy for gluing and have had not problems... I also use other color Sharpie markers depending on the color of the acrylic...
Another alternative is an ink pen (sold at just about every craft shop), the ones I buy are made to be used on terracotta flower pots, they dry real quick and opaque... I especially like this technique for white acrylics.. when used with the light tan pipe stem material you get a look similar to mother of pearl..
I am not going to hijack John's pretty work by showing the pen.. so you can see it in my album

Deere41h

Thanks for all the nice comments and helpful suggestions. I have colored the tubes in the past. When I mixed the polyester casting material I thought I had put in enough black pigment to cover them. Well who am I to know what's enough. I guess it's best to be on the safe side and color the tubes. On some recent castings I have tried to cast the tubes in place so I may have the problem with them showing through as well. We'll soon see.

Thanks again for all of your comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom