Casting & Stabilising Demo Day in Aus Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dai Sensei

Dai Sensei

Last weekend I ran a casting and stabilization demo day. The day covered casting molds, the different types and how to make them; casting mixed PR blanks; casting seed pods etc in resin under pressure; stabilizing blanks with Cactus Juice; and other questions. We filmed the day and I hope to be able to post links to U-tube videos in the Casting and Stabilization sub-forum later.

I couldn't wait to turn some though, so here are some pens made from the blanks I made

1_cast_day_pens.jpg

From left to right -
  • Red Lancewood bark cast in ancient copper Pearlex, then stabilized
  • Cedar seed pods cast with flouro orange glitter in clear resin, then stablized
  • Flouro green/yellow/orange streaks in black resin
  • Sheoak seed pods cast in copper Pearlex
  • Cholla cactus cast in flouro green dyed micropearl Pearlex
  • Cedar seed pods cast in flouro green dyed micropearl Pearlex
  • Eastern Banksia pod cast in flouro green dyed micropearl Pearlex

Hope you like them

Cheers

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

WOW!

I am going to have to stop checking this forum. It is going to cost me too much money. I am suddenly longing to purchase the equipment to both cast and stabilize blanks.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
wow..very nice...awesome job actually...looking forward to watching your YouTube video's...hope you post to this link when you put them up..!! :)

I do have one question though, you said "cedar pods cast in resin, then stabilized"...
are you saying you cast these blanks in PR and 'then' stabilized them with CactusJuice..??..

Thanks..!!

Dai Sensei

I do have one question though, you said "cedar pods cast in resin, then stabilized"...
are you saying you cast these blanks in PR and 'then' stabilized them with CactusJuice..??

Yep. The seed pods tend to tear easily when turned, since the PR is hard, but the pods soft. I often just use thin CA, after drilling but before gluing in the tubes, but i was already stabilizing the bark blanks so thought it would save the the trouble. I pre-drilled the blanks 7mm before stabilizing to expose the seed pods.

I finished the last few blanks we made into pens today:

Red glitter in clear resin and black resin mix, plus Flouro green and black resin mix

1_cast_pens_3.jpg

Desert ironwood WW with red glitter in clear resin/black resin mix

2_cast_desert_ironwood1.jpg

1_cast_desert_ironwood2.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:

3Peake

Beautiful castings,and very nice pens. I think I may have to try and get some of them cedar seed pods and the sheoak seed pods they make really unusual pens

Top Bottom