Casting Christmas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from carlmorrell

carlmorrell

This is a project I have been working on for a while now. These are shirt labels from our former family business. I have a box of labels, and wanted to do something creative with them. I also decided attempt to hone my casting skills.

I never have been able to cast a perfect blank. The first lesson I learned, was to not cast more than one blank. Since many of my casting attempts were failures (learning curve?), casting two at a time, only served to double the defective blanks.

The second lesson I learned, at least for me, is that using PR is problematic. The first problem I encountered was old resin. The can had been used, and sat in the garage for three months, which is apparently too long. Even with fresh resin, I would have reactions with the blanks, leading to grey discoloration. Cleaning with alcohol, and sealers, never got me to a clear blank, except for maybe one time.

Getting bubbles out of the resin saver mold was elusive also.

I have cast one blank in epoxy resin, and no bubbles or discoloration.

Anyhow, these four I am giving to my sisters and mother for Christmas.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Looks like things have worked out with these castings!

PR doesn't like to be 'beat up' during mixing of the catalyst(it introduces air), go easy with it for bubble free casting. And if you are not going to make a lot of pours, it might not be a great idea to buy a gallon of the stuff...

Scott (I'm sure these will be well received) B

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
You have some great looking pens there. Looks to me like to have the casting down pat. I know your sister will love them.

Top Bottom