Castellar Rollerball in Parramatta colours

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pat Keefe

Pat Keefe

Sports fans are the same all over the world. Once they learn that you dabble in turning pens, "Can you turn me a pen in (insert Team name) colours?"

My wife had mentioned to a client of her's that I turn, as she has a few bespoke pens, that she uses at work.

So the request comes thru channels, can you turn a Rollerball in Parramatta (Rugby League) colours. On the thin side, kit up to you.

So I selected a Castellar Kit from Timberbits, as I have done a couple rollerballs from this supplier and like the quality of the kits. Someone was watching me do the order and just mentioned that she did not have a rollerball . . . add 1 Sedona to the order, must keep my wife/best supporter/advertiser happy:wink:

So the Castellar was purchased and turned yesterday. I gang up jobs, so Friday was blank prep, cut, drill and glue. I find with acrylics, if I start drilling at 6mm, then work up to final size in 1 - 2 mm increments, I don't overcook the internal diameter. I always relieve the back end of the blank for a few mm to minimise blow outs. I use the big 36mm gouge for roughing and the 8mm for final shaping. Sanded using Abranet, polished with Micro Mesh, then EEE, the Plastic polish.

Attachments

• Parra Castellar 01.jpg
    Parra Castellar 01.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 180
  • Parra Castellar 02.jpg
    Parra Castellar 02.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Parra Castellar 03.jpg
    Parra Castellar 03.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice looking pen !!! . Castellar looks quite similar to Jr Gent II. . Did you pour the blank ? . or where did you get it ?

Last edited:

Pat Keefe

Hello Mal, yes it's a Jnr Gent II and the blank was sourced from Timberbits here in Australia. I do buy a "spare" blank for these commission jobs, just in case. I'll stash it for whenever.

Thanks for your kind comment.

mikelsdo

Good looking pen. I use a spray bottle with water in it and back the drill bit out and cool the blank and the bit after each 1/4" I drill into a acrylic blank. It makes drilling much faster and no melting.

Pat Keefe

I had a phone call from the lady today, that the pen was made for - she was very appreciative of her husband ,myself and more importantly the pen.

It's always good to get positive feedback from the recipient of commission jobs.

Top Bottom