Cast Spruce cone in green

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from crabcreekind

crabcreekind

Here is one of my homebrew blanks made from a spruce cone cast in green and some silver metallic powder.
I kind of amazed myself but not finding a single bubble or void in this blank when turning.
The kit is a chrome atrax with a postable finial.

Hope you guys like it.
I also added a pic of the pine cone blanks, that it came from. :biggrin:

Attachments

• 100_8838.jpg
    100_8838.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 341
  • 100_8837.jpg
    100_8837.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 361
  • 100_8836.jpg
    100_8836.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 250
  • 100_8768.jpg
    100_8768.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 384
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Really nice work. I've been saving some spruce cones to case "someday". Now I don't have to I can see what they would be like, although I really doubt I would have done as nice a job as you did.

I got several things I've been saving to cast "someday". Wonder if I will ever get to it??:redface:

SDB777

Just curious, are you using pressure during the cure with these cones? We don't get cones on the spruce trees that are lucky enough to grow around here(guess it's probably too hot for them in the summer?). Might have to find some and bring them back while on vacation!!!

The casting translucents really lets the cone 'shine through'. Well done on the casting! And the finished pen....whew, should sell that one fast!!!

Scott (sell 'em, make more) B

crabcreekind

Just curious, are you using pressure during the cure with these cones? We don't get cones on the spruce trees that are lucky enough to grow around here(guess it's probably too hot for them in the summer?). Might have to find some and bring them back while on vacation!!!

The casting translucents really lets the cone 'shine through'. Well done on the casting! And the finished pen....whew, should sell that one fast!!!

Scott (sell 'em, make more) B

Yes, the pine cones are cast under pressure. I am not sure that it is too hot in the summer where you live for them to grow. Because I live in a desert. And it gets pretty hot here.
Some pine cones are better than others, I try and clean all the crap off of them before I cast it.

reiddog1

James,
You are definately putting out some top notch blanks these days. Keep up the good work young man. I may have to pick your brain on alumilite casting.

-Dave

Top Bottom