Cast Cedar Pods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dai Sensei

Dai Sensei

I sanded the small pods to have flat ends, placed them into a standard mold, then cast them under pressure with purple Pearlex in PR (my camera just makes it look blue). The resin penetrated well and I was amazed at the variation in colors of the pods.

A Sierra and a Cigar, both two-tone copper, CA finish.

1_cedar_pod1.jpg

1_cedar_pod2.jpg

1_cedar_pod3.JPG

1_cedar_pod4.JPG

Cheers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

So unique...I love the organic castings that have been coming out and this one is in the top of the field. Awesome work

Gilrock

Really nice! I love that blank on the Sierra. Now I want to try casting....gotta figure out what I need to get started. :)

By the way I've never ordered a Sierra but I swear it looks like the exact same hardware as what I buy at Woodcraft called a Wall Street II.

Thanks,
Gil

jbswearingen

Really nice! I love that blank on the Sierra. Now I want to try casting....gotta figure out what I need to get started. :)

By the way I've never ordered a Sierra but I swear it looks like the exact same hardware as what I buy at Woodcraft called a Wall Street II.

Thanks,
Gil

Here's a good place to start:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79502

In particular, this thread:

http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/startcastingforlessthan100.pdf

micharms

Nice pen and nice cast. It's great fun trying different things in the cast.

I'm curious though. Can you post a photo of what the pods looked like before you cast them? Our cedars here don't produce anything like that.

Michael

Dai Sensei

I'm curious though. Can you post a photo of what the pods looked like before you cast them? Our cedars here don't produce anything like that.

I'm afraid I have run out. They are from interstate when I was on holidays. I have arranged for my sister who lives there to collect some more and find out the tree species for me. They were from in an old botanical garden that is now just a park, there were 2 species of cedar neither of which I knew, but there is a sign in the park naming them.

I'll post a pic and the name when I have them.

Cheers

Top Bottom