Cast Brass Shavings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sylvanite

Sylvanite

This pen was inspired by the Casting Contest. I entered a cigar pen made of Bordeaux resin and brass shavings that didn't win anything. I made this one later. It features brass shavings cast in PR colored with Blue/Green Duochrome mica powder on a TiGold 2-tone Tapa Pacifica kit.

attachment.php

attachment.php

It's an interesting effect, but probably not one I'll recreate again soon. The blank was challenging to turn. The brass pieces tendend to snag and pull out. I also had to put a CA finish over the blank to keep it from tarnishing. It is pretty in the right light, though.

I hope you enjoy it,
Eric

Attachments

• BrassShavingsPen.jpg
    BrassShavingsPen.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,071
  • BrassShavingsBarrel.jpg
    BrassShavingsBarrel.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,068
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I really like this one! Great job on it and I don't think you should avoid this at all. Wish I could make blanks that pretty!

Gk

ironman123

A very nice pen.

Who makes the Tapa Pacifica kit and where can it be bought from? Looks similar to Wallstreet I think.

The finishing of the blank is really good.

Ray

Sylvanite

I really enjoyed the designs on your contest pen!

Thanks. Sometimes the brass can make interesting patterns if it happens to line up the right way. Spiral shavings in particular can look like acorn or fishbone designs. I just grabbed bunches of brass to make this blank - perhaps I should selectively use the spirals next time.

attachment.php

Regards,
Eric

Attachments

• BrassShavingsBlank.jpg
    BrassShavingsBlank.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 848

Jim Burr

Banned
Don't do it Eric!!! The random look is great and I love this pen!! IMHO part of what makes casting fun is the randomness of it, no two are ever the same. You really nailed this one!

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Eric,
I don't understand what you are meaning about the brass grabbing and pulling out. :wink:
Maybe you need to drop the pen off at the next meeting with the other blank and I can take my time contemplating the issue. :biggrin:

Excellent job on the pen!

Sylvanite

Who makes the Tapa Pacifica kit and where can it be bought from? Looks similar to Wallstreet I think.
The Tapa Pacifica is sold by WoodPenPro (www.woodpenpro.com). It is similar to the Sierra/Wallstreet I, but the 2-tone features black chrome instead of black enamel, and is much more durable. I also like that the decorative rings above and below the barrel are the same. Different rings just look incongruous to me.

That said, I'm thinking of moving to the Sierra Vista or Wallstreet III style in order to keep the barrel material thicker. For tube-on casting, or segmented blanks, the Pacifica is awfully thin.

Regards,
Eric

bitshird

Beautiful pen Eric, I'll bet the brass could give you a head ache trying to keep it from pulling away from the resin!! you did a sweet job though.

Electricpen

It's a pain but worth trying again. I did clear blue and a ton of thin aluminum flakes no CA. What did you use to turn gouges or metal lathe tools? How does the CA hold up, is it about the same as CA over wood?

aweiss44

love it! I have a container full of brass shavings that i have been planning on casting.good to know someone else thought of it too, and did a heck of abetter job than I would ever do.

rich gubbin

Very nice pen, love the blank. Glad you warned of the problems with the brass shavings snagging as i was contemplating doing something like this as my Dad uses alot of brass and other metals for his model engineering projects. I cant wait till i have gained the expertise to start casting my own blanks.

Top Bottom