Casings the long and short of it

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ctEaglesc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I found a bunch of casings I had drilled a long time ago.I remembered why I decided not to make a pen out of them.
I think they are 308's but not sure because they were drilled for a wood core.
I do know I had to trim a standard length tube from a slimline kit for the wood core as it was "proud" of the casing, the casing being just under 2" and the tubes are about 2&1/16.

2006121154952_308%20casing%20009.jpg

I realized why I didn't use this caliber casing for a standard pen.
Even though the tubes are relatively close in length, the pen appears to be "top heavy"
This is a cute pen, might be nice for a lady.
Here it is compared to a 30-06.I use Euro tubes so the pen has a "balance" to it.
Both casings are the same diameter but note the difference a little more length in the bottom makes.
overall length of the short pen is 5"
The more balanced 30-06 is almost 5&3/8ths

2006121155543_308%20casing%20001.jpg

If anyone wants some short casings I have a few, I wouldn't bother to use them in the future.I aint even going to drill the rest out they are not worth it.
OPn second thought I may cut them shorter and make "longwoods" out of them.That's the beauty of the wood core, they can be "mosidfied"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

How about cutting the primer end off one, flipping it over and using it as part of the upper barrel? That'll remove some of the top heavy look maybe.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Skye
<br />How about cutting the primer end off one, flipping it over and using it as part of the upper barrel? That'll remove some of the top heavy look maybe.
I have done that in the past, I actually used the "magnum band" as a CB on the top section.I even contemplated getting the off cut gold plated.The construction would be the same as a PSI euro.
When I cam up withthe idea of turning the tenon of the end of the upper section it solved that problem.
Why go through all the work, using 2 casings when the 30-06 works perfectly with a method that is transferable to other calibers?
Here's an example similar to what you suggested only I used one casing and cut it even with the top of the wood core.I used the off cut for the CB.With the wood core and a tenon on the top section I get the same effect.
This is one of my first and still my favorite.

2006121163253_casing%20with%20tenon%20001.jpg
<br />
sorry for the blur but you get the idea

2006121163328_casing%20with%20tenon%20005.jpg
<br />

Skye

Well, there's no good reason to do it other than to use the 308s you've already got rather than pitching them.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Skye
<br />Well, there's no good reason to do it other than to use the 308s you've already got rather than pitching them.
MAybe so, but when I looking for casings to buy I don't purposely buy those that insure the finished pen has a "top" heavy look to it.
Take the casings out of the picture.I wouldn't purposely make a wood pen with the same look.I am sure I am not the only one who has made a Euro with a long top and short bottom and after making that mistake vowed never to repeat it.
I sell these quite a bit and when I take them to the merchant that is going to carry them they have to "look" right as well as be the best I can make.

Fangar

Eagle,

I remembered you said that you didn't like the look of this one as much as my 300's, but now you see why I didn't like the top heavy feel of it with the wood having to be so long (Antler in your case). It still serves a purpose I guess...

redmalle308.jpg

Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom