Casein Twist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kaspar

Kaspar

Ok so how did you get them segmented in so that you could see the casein through it? Im a little confused.:confused: Is there a tenon that goes through them?

Yes, those are tenons. I didn't want to break up the grain of the Casein, any more than was absolutely necessary. So I only cut it at the nib, the center, and the cap finial.

ldb2000

Stunning pen Eric . Nice clean design and very well executed . Tenons are so under appreciated for what can be done with them , the centerbands really make that pen . You can call it semi-kitless if you want but it is a true kitless by my definition .

Bill Sampson

Stunning pen!! The creative talent on this site continues to get better and better causing me to attempt thinking "outside the box" in turning pens. Thanks for the challenge!

Bill Sampson, Richmond

PenMan1

Good stuff, as always, Eric. I've never before been a fan of butterscotch lucite. But, I think it works as a perfect accent for the casein. Other "shiney" acrylics would have added unnecessary and unwanted "bling" to the elegant casein.

Perfect materials selections, just the perfect amount of "flair" or contour on both barrels, perfect execution.

Bravo!

wiset1

Truly unique bit of work here! There's nothing I can say to express how truly awesome this pen really is...the lines, the look, the fit, just amazing! Would love to see more like this.

Penl8the

Absolutely stunning. I love Casein blanks. This has to be one of the best ways to showcase this blank.

I nominate this pen to be the next month's "Featured Photo".

Who wants to second the motion?

Timebandit

Is the centerband just one tenon with the small rings slide over or is there several small tenons there? Are the rings glued of just pressure fit on there? And is the cap finial glued or threaded?

Thanks

Ok so how did you get them segmented in so that you could see the casein through it? Im a little confused.:confused: Is there a tenon that goes through them?

Yes, those are tenons. I didn't want to break up the grain of the Casein, any more than was absolutely necessary. So I only cut it at the nib, the center, and the cap finial.

Kaspar

Thanks for all the kind words. Truth is, I'm only about 80% satisfied with this one. There were a few tricks to doing this pen that I'm willing to share.

First of all, I've had those blanks for a good six months, maybe more. After my first experience with Casein (in which the barrels dried out and separated from the fittings a tiny bit,) I waited on these remaining blanks to let them "acclimate" to this area. One of them deformed slightly, and another bulged at one end a bit. I'm going to ask mom in a couple of months if anything has happened to this pen, since she lives in a very dry climate. Casein is pretty unstable and high maintenance. Even big boy, Conway Stewart, doesn't do anymore casein pens because of the problems it has. Here's hoping these blanks have stabilized at least for a climate similar to where I am.

Another problem I had: the radial starburst pattern is usually not perfectly centered through the long axis. I solved that problem in the following way. Trim the ends to square them. Mark where the center of the sunburst is at each end (you'll kind of have to eyeball that.) Take a piece of scrap that is perfectly squared and smaller than the overall diameter of the blank. Drill a tiny hole through the center of it (I'm assuming you drill on the lathe, or in some other highly accurate fashion.) Looking through the drill hole, center the square piece over the mark delineating the center of the starburst, and glue it with heavy CA. You can glue another such piece at the other end, but I just hit the mark with a center punch, and that was enough for the point of the live center to hold onto. Now you can chuck the piece in a four jaw chuck, and turn it down to the new center. (FYI, I use a metal lathe.) It will be eccentric at first, of course, put it'll come round pretty much around the center of the pattern, if you have a good eye.

Is the centerband just one tenon with the small rings slide over or is there several small tenons there? Are the rings glued of just pressure fit on there? And is the cap finial glued or threaded?

Thanks

I cut three tenons, one large and two small. Then, I got the Lucite perfectly square, cut off enough of the ribbonless part for my needs, and then split it down the middle on my Jim Saw. Of course, the saw blade removes part of it, and it is no longer perfectly square. So I used the Jim Saw to get it square again (when you put the split pieces together,) and then chucked the split pieces together in the four jaw chuck, and drilled out the diameter I wanted down the center of the split. The piece then splits apart but put together forms perfectly around your tenon. (Kind of like the old fashioned stocks they used to imprison public offenders in Revolutionary New England.) Yes, you can see the dividing lines. There might be a way to mitigate that a bit, but if done accurately, you'd have to be looking for it to see it. That way I did not have to cut the casein and mess up the grain. Oh, and I had some small air bubbles, but I'll do it better next time, I hope.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks Eric!!! I was pretty certain I knew how you did it--not at all like that!!!!

I think my way would work, too. I am always amazed at the different approaches that can be taken to achieve an end product.

Again, thanks!!!

mrburls

That's a pretty amazing pen Eric. But then let' not forget who made it. You do amazing work. I like the way you did that center band.

Keith "mrburls"

alphageek

Former Moderator
Man, I just can't get over this one. The lucite rings (thanks for the explanation!!) are really intense.

I think this thread is an absolutely perfect one to point the "slimline haters" to. I know you said this is a gift, but if you were to sell this - it could EASILY be a multi hundred $ pen!!

Top Bottom