Casein??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ed4copies

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
NOPE---New Alternative Casein:

Turns and drills like a cross between acrylic and alt ivory. Not as dense and hard as acrylic, but not as "powdery" as alt ivory.

Pretty good likeness, though.

All comments encouraged--even bad ones!!!

Thanks

Attachments

• altcasein best-cpy.jpg
    altcasein best-cpy.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 399
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
ROY, Roy,......Roy!?!?!?

Agree, but there's no story, unless you want to say it's made from alternate milk:wink:!
I like it! Half the price and less hassle!

OF COURSE there is a story---there is ALWAYS a story!!!

Well, Mr Prospect, the true Casein was used in the early days of penmaking--the 20's I'm told.

Now, with the advances of science, we can give you that same "high end" look in today's futuristic and GREEN materials!!! NO COWS were milked in this process. Just a nice oil well was drilled and after the black stuff was processed out to use in your polluting car, we took the residual and made this lovely pen.

IF we use more pens, we can create a shortage and make your gas MORE expensive.

See, there's a story!!!

(May want to tailor it to YOUR personality though!)

rjwolfe3

Yep sounds like Soy Casein!

We give the inmates a lot of that soy stuff and tell them its the real thing. Most don't believe us.

Pen looks awesome btw!

witz1976

OF COURSE there is a story---there is ALWAYS a story!!!

Well, Mr Prospect, the true Casein was used in the early days of penmaking--the 20's I'm told.

Now, with the advances of science, we can give you that same "high end" look in today's futuristic and GREEN materials!!! NO COWS were milked in this process. Just a nice oil well was drilled and after the black stuff was processed out to use in your polluting car, we took the residual and made this lovely pen.

IF we use more pens, we can create a shortage and make your gas MORE expensive.

See, there's a story!!!

(May want to tailor it to YOUR personality though!)

Ed, you are a wealth of information, however this one is just too over the top.

Since when do we (or anyone) ever consider PLASTIC to being green? To me, Casein is more green than the alternative version. Sorry, my friend I think Lou has a better story.

Thanks to new technologies we can offer a similar look at an affordable price, thus if Mr. Customer wants the real stuff you can argue a higher price.

OKLAHOMAN

OK! OK! OK! OK! I can lie...........er........tell a good story about faux casein/ sir have you seen the latest fake......er........... faux Casein? Yep we've taken real Casein and made a look-a-like that we can now pass off .........I mean sell for a couple of dollars less unless you want to tell your friends it's real casein then I charge a few dollars more. These are the finest of the fake............er faux plastics and come from only American/English off shore oil wells giving the economy a boost by useing the left over sludge of BP.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Erik,

YES, and no. The piece I used I did not drill carefully, just drilled. Stick around, picture coming--I can't describe this properly,

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ok, Dawn was using the black glass so I left it there. The reflection may help more than the actual straight on shot.

The lines are straighter than casein--more regular.
They are very well spaced, near the center of the blank, but as they hit the outside diameter, the machine seems to create a swirl of sorts.

So, for small diameters, drilled dead center, it would be FANTASTIC. At some point (looks like about half an inch) the pen would near perfection.

As this sells, I am sure we will see people making the effort to hit dead center---

Hope the pic helps.

Attachments

• AltcasforIAP.jpg
    AltcasforIAP.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 162

Kaspar

Okay, from that picture it does appear that they have gotten the radial symmetry of the real casein, so one could, for example, get this finial effect ...

1_Casein_Pen_Finial.jpg

... and get better regularity of the longitudinal lines to boot, as long as we lose enough of the raw blank's outer diameter.

Nice.

wizard

Ed,
This reply is just to support your observations. You and Dawn sent me one of the alternative casein blanks along with a recent order. I've attached a picture of a pen recently posted where just the body of the pen was made out of the alternative casein. The qualities of alternative casein with the core lines radiating outwards and the parallel lines on the surface appear identical. Moreover, the alternative version is somewhat more symmetrical and consistent when compared to the actual casein. From working with it, would seem easier to make a finial from it rather than the real casein. I found it to have the same properties drilling and turning as you did. My two cents worth....Doc

Attachments

• Lapis Duofold_1.jpg
    Lapis Duofold_1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 128

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks Doc!!

Always good to incorporate a few facts into our "fun".

BTW, Roy--you rose to the occasion--I can see you selling "Alternative casein" at a premium now that you understand all it's benefits@!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Kaspar

Just thinking out loud here:

Looking at the few high end casein pens out there, it looks like some casein blanks are more equal than others. The big dogs can pick and chose which to use. I am still undecided as to whether the point of a casein pen is the fact of the material of which it's made, or symmetry of appearance.

I'm thinking a real connoisseur would want both, but if he/she/it had to choose, I believe the fact of the casein would be the point. So I'm not sure the alternate version works unless regularity of the appearance of the lines was more important.

And of course, the narrower the pen - that is, the closer it is turned to the center, the more any irregularities will be less obvious. So, maybe use the real stuff for thinner pens, and the alt for bigger pens?

Anyway, I'll give it a try.

Sometime.

Padre

I think I know what it is made of.

This HAS to be made from that powdered milk my father tried to give us in the 60's. It tasted sooooo bad that no one would buy it anymore, so there are millions of cases of it stored in old 'air raid shelters' and 'fallout shelters' and they had to clear it all out. But, in order to help the economy, they didn't throw it away, they made alternate casein instead! :biggrin::rolleyes:

BKelley

You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time!! It's made of curdled yak milk. Come on Ed, admit it, you have connections in Tibet

jskeen

Ahh, yes. Good old Dr Malthus.

"It is never safe to laugh at Dr. Malthus, he always has the last laugh. A Depressing man, I'm glad he's dead" (Heinline, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)

Top Bottom