cartridge pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from fernhills

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernhills

here are two cartridge pens i did the other day,,one with the burl is a 270 used shell the tubes fit the nib end so that you dont have to sleeve it only thing is the nib to the slimline is proud of the shell.don`t look right,i have to find out how Rick did the bussiness end with actual bullit,The other is antler,used 30-06 nib fits them good but you have to sleeve the nib end..and i got to start using new shells. Both were finished with CA,brass was just polished

20071216145726_Hpim0345.jpg

Carl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airrat

I do not do reloading of shells. But a guy I work with brought me in some 30-06 and asked if I could make a pen for him. He said there is a way to expand the "nib" end if I needed to.

I can talk to him on Wed when I see him again and see what he called it.

bitshird

you can resize the nib end of an 30 06 with a neck die, with a new cartridge this might not be necessary, since it hasn't been expanded by being fired,

Firefyter-emt

What I do is to solder the 7mm tube in the neck with a large soldering iron (Gun style, a pencil one may not work) From what I understand a 8mm tube would be a great sleeve to solder in between the neck and 7mm tube. I then square it with my pen mill and mount it on my lathe. I then use files to file the neck to .330 followed by sanding and polishing with buffing wheels on my small drill press. I then powdercoat them clear. Done this way the casing is perfectly sized to the slimline nib. Mine came to me fired, and seem to range about .450 or so.

BTW, for a dented neck, I have used a 5/16" transfer punch and a pair of linesman flat jaw pliers to straighten the neck. I have a couple with dented bodies that I plan to cut up and try to make one of those that have the wood in the middle. [;)]

fernhills

I priced the brass at Cabelas,30 something for 50 and 20 something for 50 bullits,about a buck apeice for blanks not counting wood or antler,i don`t know,it might be worth it not to deal with dents and sratches and distorted sizes

Sylvanite

Originally posted by fernhills
<br />i have to find out how Rick did the bussiness end with actual bullit
Carl,

With a set of dies and a press, you can size the brass and seat a bullet (that you'll need to drill out) as the nib. Or, if you don't have the equipment or don't want to drill the bullet, there are a couple of folks here (myself included) who sell bullet-nib rifle cartridges already assembled.

You can see the ones I sell at http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29751 or http://littlerivercrafts.home.mindspring.com/Supplies.

Regards,
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom