Caribou and acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rick P

Rick P

Caribou antler and black peal acrylic on a Jr Gent. Thanks for looking and your comments are always appreciated.

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 350
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jaeger

I like both pens. I have been segmenting a lot of pens lately. Sometimes one single segment can give the pen a whole new look.
I bought some aluminum to include in the segmenting but I am going to use more of the aluminum from cans because it still shows up and it is a lot easier to work with.
Another nice benefit of segmenting, the right acrylic can stretch out to more than one or two pens with the addition of some nice wood, maybe even leftover favorite wood at times.
Try a piece of acrylic in the middle of a wood blank with some aluminum on each end of the acrylic, on a chrome or rhodium plating component pen.

Rick P

I think I remember that pen paintspill, seems yo did a great job controlling the ebony dust/staining.

Thanks again everyone!

Rick P

Yes it really runs from pinkish to gray, this was an exceptional hunk of antler! It seems to me that Caribou is most colorful followed by moose and deer is probably the least colorful on average. Pay no attention to the outside when judging color content, this antler was bleached white on the outside! Look at a cut end or the button's inner surface, thats where you'll get a hint of what it will look like turned!

Rick P

Thought this might be helpful.......this is the section I cut the blanks from. Note a very slight pink cast can be seen from the outside surface but it is barely perceptible. The cut end shows the inner antlers color much better! Note the pink around the edges? Polishing makes it stronger!

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-2.jpg
    Resize Wizard-2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 82
  • Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Gilrock

Thought this might be helpful.......this is the section I cut the blanks from. Note a very slight pink cast can be seen from the outside surface but it is barely perceptible. The cut end shows the inner antlers color much better! Note the pink around the edges? Polishing makes it stronger!

Nice pens...I'm glad you posted these extra photos. I was wondering where the pink coloring came from. My deer hunt is next weekend...hoping I can get one early so I can spend more time looking at the ground for antlers.

Rick P

Good luck on your hunt! I'll be chasing white tails myself for the first time in 3 years in about 2 weeks.

Sheds are a great source of material! And fun to find...

Top Bottom