Caribbean Shell and some local wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from splinter99

splinter99

I have been playing with some 308 shell casing pens..I kinda like this design. It feels nice in the hand and shows off the wood grain
308 shell casing pen with Caribbean Rosewood..CA finish
shell-b-06_editedMedium.jpg

A good friend brought in a few boards of kiln dried Honey Locust. He wanted a cigar pen made from it. I tried 4 times and just couldn't get it to look good. It turned easily and finished great but it was just so plain looking. I asked him if I could segment it with some walnut and he liked the idea, Here is the result.
shell-b-12_editedMedium.jpg

Honey locust with sapwood and walnut, black veneer and aluminium
CA finish on chrome cigar
Comments welcomed, Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
They are both handsome pens!

Your alternating touch of copper at both ends of the first really brings it all together. And the walnut and segmenting really looks great with the Honey Locust.

Dan26

I like them, too! Is Honey Locust always that yellow? I have a few in my backyard that I'd almost consider cutting down for beautiful wood like that.

splinter99

Dan, the sap wood is often very yellow,not as yellow as osage orange, the heart wood was a little lighter then normal in this piece

Mark

I like that Honey Locust.

My sister has two in her driveway. I'm thinking I may have to visit this weekend...

lsldh

I have started playing with the 308 shell casing pens but, I can't seem to come up with a way to get the nib to fit properly into the shell casing. Any suggestions? Also the pens are beautiful. Nice job.

Top Bottom