Care to guess this wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
There's a lot of experimenting going on here:
My first of Smitty's Creekline pens - I like it.
My first Craft Coat finish - I gave it 6 coats of glossy CC which gives the pen a little shinier finish than I usually get with standard friction polish & doesn't take much longer to apply.
I had this piece of wood lying around for about a year & finally got around to giving it a try. It's the first time I ever turned this wood & it cut like butter.
I'm also experimenting with my new light tent - that's an education in itself. I did use my DSLR but I was mainly just experimenting with light placement today - I'll break out the tripod & work on depth of field later.

I adjusted the color balance to get this photo looking as close as I could to what the pen looks like in person. It's a real nice creamy sap wood. No prizes involved, but you can practice your wood identification skills for next year's BASH.

Edgar

Attachments

• View1.jpg
    View1.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 235
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Not holly or poplar -- nor philodendron ;-)

It is from my backyard, but it's not a native Texas tree.
I have at least 40 types of trees, shrubs & vines in my "backyards" & it's my mission to eventually make a pen from each one (except maybe the poison ivy)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Crape Myrtle?

BINGO!

We planted these two trees about 35 years ago from cuttings that my grandmother gave us. They aren't blooming yet, but they will be soon.

I trimmed a few branches last year & kept a few sticks that were about 5/8" in diameter and just had them air drying outside my garage. Here's the one I got this pen from.

They're about 20 feet tall now, & as you can see, we planted the trees too close together & too close to the pecan tree -- didn't look that close 35 years ago....

Attachments

• tree.JPG
    tree.JPG
    648.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_4906.jpg
    IMG_4906.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 136

Cmiles1985

I've got a large one in my front yard and two smaller ones in the back yard. I haven't turned any of it, but I will save some stuff when I trim it next year. I have various "yard woods" drying out to try.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I wish I had see this post before I could have guessed right since it looked similar to my crepe myrtle. Your looks great, top notch ft and finish. Well done.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I wish I had see this post before I could have guessed right since it looked similar to my crepe myrtle. Your looks great, top notch ft and finish. Well done.

Thanks Dan, I was expecting you to be the one to guess it. :)
These cuttings have been drying for a year & when I saw your post last week, I decided that it was time to give one of them a try.
It really is a pretty wood - I'm going to include a couple of them in my Service Pens.

Top Bottom