Carbon Fibre & Titanium Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chris1234

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I agree with Bryan; not so basic. Actually quite a bit more advanced than what most of us typically make.

Wonderful skill set. Thanks for sharing.

And, welcome to IAP!

leehljp

Member Liaison
To paraphrase Woody Guthrie, Albert Einstein and Steve Jobs: Anyone can make something complicated, it takes a genius to make it simple. . .

Basic (and simple) clean lines are a thing of beauty!

magpens

Those pens are beautiful, Chris !!! . Welcome to IAP !! . I am sure that others besides me look forward to learning some "basic" skills from YOU !!! . Keep posting !

By the way ... Welcome to IAP !!! . Post a line or two in the "Introductions" forum and you will be entered for a newcomers draw and could win a prize !

OZturner

Welcome Chris, from Sydney Australia.
Loved your Carbon Fiber, and Titanium Pens,
Excellent Concept and Execution, Great Profiles, and Proportions.
Superb Fits and Finishes.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Chris1234

Thanks, they are just things I've made in my spare time.
A couple I have made as presents for people.

Only a few have lids, they are not twist pens (you mean you twist twist them to expose the tip?).

Making lids for them is a pain as I like to line the inside of the cap with HDPE (plastic) to avoid scratching the pen. This means the cap is a much larger diameter than the pen and can look a bit silly.

The carbon fibre is bought in tubes from the internet quite cheaply and is fairly easy to cut / face the ends.

The titanium is quite a pain to machine, the deep 6mm bores are hard to drill with the titanium hardening or grabbing the drill bit and snapping it.

I plan to make one from carbon fibre / orange anodised aluminium when I get time.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks, they are just things I've made in my spare time.
A couple I have made as presents for people.

Only a few have lids, they are not twist pens (you mean you twist twist them to expose the tip?).

Making lids for them is a pain as I like to line the inside of the cap with HDPE (plastic) to avoid scratching the pen. This means the cap is a much larger diameter than the pen and can look a bit silly.

The carbon fibre is bought in tubes from the internet quite cheaply and is fairly easy to cut / face the ends.

The titanium is quite a pain to machine, the deep 6mm bores are hard to drill with the titanium hardening or grabbing the drill bit and snapping it.

I plan to make one from carbon fibre / orange anodised aluminium when I get time.

Your future thoughts are well set - good wishes!

More4dan

Carbon Fibre & Titanium Pens

Lovely pens! Great simple designs and flawless execution. What did you use to turn the titanium, lathe and bits? From the uniform color I'm guessing you anodized the titanium with voltage instead of heat. How did you attach the HDPE liner to the cap? I've had trouble getting glue to stick.

Great work!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:
Top Bottom