Carbon Fiber Tests

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

Well the Capt. asked me to test some blanks for him and have to tell you he is evolving faster than anyone can imagine. I will post a few photos here and you decide and pass on to him what you think. Unfortunately here on the east coast we are having nothing but rain so I am not able to take outdoor photos which might bring the colors out more. But before I go on I would state some observations. I am showing a usual black cf to compare with a plain green and plain red. I found that even with the way the acrylic casting magnifies an object the red and green to me are just that, flat. They have no other color or contrast to make them jump out. They do show the fabric which initself can be very desirable. I know he is adding to his line so need to be patient. Please excuse the photos. I did the best I could. I also included them on a pen so hopefully that may help. Not sure how many photos I can upload here but will try to include everything in the one posting. I hope I did put this in the right forum and if not maybe Curtis can move it. Thanks all for looking and as always any question or comments are always welcomed and I know the Capt will be able to answer them better.

IMGP0440.jpg

IMGP0446.jpg

IMGP0441.jpg

IMGP0443.jpg

IMGP0445.jpg

IMGP0444.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Good looking blanks and pens.:):)

How well does the detail and colour contrast show up in "real life"?

To me like I said in my review, there really is no contrast because it is of one solid color. Unlike the black there, the weave looks like it is on one level so it makes it look flat. The black on the other hand has a distinctive raised grain pattern for lack of a better word. It is 2 different levels of weave running through it.,( or at least a higher weave) thus giving a 3D look and with the magnification of the acrylic it looks great. You will have this on the bummble bee pattern that CaptG is featuring now, also. I have not received the blanks yet but I have had this material for quite some time now and have it in many colors and it will make some extrodinary blanks. With Gary's expertice on casting I think he is going to have his hands full and will have no time for manning the boat.:biggrin:

The green is a dark color and I have a hard time photographing it without sunlight. But it is the same one level weave pattern as the red. I think the red photos give a good sense of what it looks like in person. Hope this helps and maybe Gary can add more.

Last edited:

CaptG

The blandness of the weave is why I have decided not to pursue these solid color fiberglass blanks any farther. The darker the color, the blander the blank. They basically are just colored pens, no "pizzaz". However, the two color hybids have an even deeper depth to them. More of a 3-d effect.

And I will have time to man the boat.

JohnU

I like them all. I have a few to turn myself and need to get some free time. Those really turned out nice. Great job to you both!

txcwboy

I ordered some blue Texalium. So I hope to trying to make my first cast with it here soon. I am a big fan of CaptG's CF blanks ,well all his blanks actually :) They make a red/black CF that has nice pattern to it. Probably show up better. Also F22 CF would be neat but hard to get. It has a Different pattern to it .They make a couple different patterns 2x2 is one of them.

Dave

Top Bottom