Carbon fiber Slimline.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ruby pen turning

This was my first go at casting carbon fiber and if I must say so myself it turned out pretty good.:biggrin: The weaves are not perfectly straight but they are close. The top has a small white spot under the clip and I had to grind a hair off the lower tube. This was done with a 1/4" sleeve slid over the tube.
Thanks for looking comments bad/good welcome.
Brian Kort

IMG_9251.JPG

IMG_9251.JPG

IMG_9253.JPG

IMG_9254.JPG

IMG_9255.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oneptbuk

Very nice. What type of material did you use to cast? I've been trying to get a usable blank out of Alumilite, but even with pressure I can't seem to eliminate the bubbles. I'm using the orange and black carbon/fiberglass material, but I'm 5 blanks into it with zero success.....

OOPS

I think its probably the classiest Slimline I've ever seen. I wouldn't worry about the weave not being absolutely straight. Most won't notice, and if they do, they will marvel and how the design subtly coils around the pen!

Its really a great pen.

Thanks for the great feedback! The fiber is just a sleeve that is 1/4" or 0.25 and is pulled over the tube. I cast the tubes in polyester resin with no vacuum and used one of my single blank silicon molds. I don't have a mold for a slim so I left the sleeves ragged on the ends and taped them up with electrical tape. The tubes were plugged with some PR scrap that I turned with a slight taper. I cut some pieces of small diameter dowels to hold the tubes at the center of the mold and also to hold the tubes from floating. The dowels were wedged in the sides of the mold. A better way has to be found to do it but I just wanted to see how it would go.

Top Bottom